HybridZ

Wastegate spring pressure, higher better when using boost controllers?

Quick question, thumper got me thinking about this with his actuator question.

I run 22+ psi on my motor. I am currently using a 7psi spring and regulating boost with my boost controller. Is there any advantage to using a 14psi spring? I never run under 14psi really..

Just curious! I have noticed boost falls off a psi or so on the top end.

Thanks - Evan

I'll caveat this by saying I only know about the setup I have on my Porsche...

We upped our wastegate springs from the OEM units to 15# units and the results were dramatic. I'm not personally a fan of boost controllers, so spending the money on the strings and doing the mod, along with a 5 bar fuel pressure regulator and custom tune to take advantage of all the mods, made all the difference in the world.

Mike

I understand your thoughts on boost control, but the adjustability is pretty important to me because my GF drives the car sometimes and I drive it in snow. I guess I could swap springs seasonally though.

Ill put some more thought into it, maybe Ill just drop a big spring in there for now.

Evan

I'm running a 9 psi spring in a turbonetics racegate, and a greddy profec B, it works pretty slick, controller off is 9 psi, for 297 whp, low boost is 13 psi for 327 whp, and high is set at 17 for 403 whp, so in effect I have 3 boost levels at the push of a button, I also just bought the "remote switching system" for the profec, which is a wireless remote button that mounts to the steering wheel, now I can switch between high and low without taking my hand off the wheel, haven't played with it much yet, but I expect it will help with wheel spin on street tires. I ran my last motor nearly the same, except 20 psi high boost.

If you never run less than 14 psi go with the stiffer spring. As boost increases the back pressure does too and it pushes on the WG valve. With a 7 psi WG spring you are probably close to the limit before boost starts dropping at higher revs, unless you are on a large hot side, then maybe you can get a few more psi. I can hold 38 psi to redline with a 16 psi spring. With a 7 psi spring running 22psi, boost would start dropping around 6000 rpms and be 20 psi by 6500. I run a $15 regulator style controller (in both Z's) that runs pressure into the top of the WG, dead reliable. If it fails, then I'm at the WG spring setting.

Quick question, thumper got me thinking about this with his actuator question.

I run 22+ psi on my motor. I am currently using a 7psi spring and regulating boost with my boost controller. Is there any advantage to using a 14psi spring? I never run under 14psi really..

Just curious! I have noticed boost falls off a psi or so on the top end.

Thanks - Evan

It's a mini regulator. If you have a 14 psi spring, you add 6 psi to the top for 20 psi. On mine one turn equals about 4 psi. I can't remember what mine are without looking but you really only need it to adjust from 0-30. http://cgi.ebay.com/Norgren-Regulator-Units-1-8-NPT-R07-100-RGKA-Two_W0QQitemZ170213278405QQcmdZViewItem

These only work with dual port wastegates though.