HybridZ

Rocker repair/rust prevention

Hey ya'll

Question for ya. I'll be repairing some small rust through areas at the rocker (driver and pass side) right in front of the rear wheels. I'll be welding in new patch panels. How do I treat the back side of this fresh metal to prevent it from rusting out again in the future. After I weld in the patch panels the inside will be sealed in and I won't be able to treat/paint the surface to prevent rust. Any ideas? Thanks.

I thought about drilling some holes and shooting in some runbberized undercoating or something like that... hadn't considered plugging with rubber plugs though. Kinda concerned about being able to cover the entire patched area though.

I figured I wouldn't be able to coat the back of the piece with anything before welding it in... possibly inhibiting the weld from taking? And, still have to worry about covering the wleds on the insdie areas to keep them from corroding?

Any other advice from anyone who has made this repair or similar ones?

I haven't welded on a rocker panel specifically, but I have welded on painted metal before. As long as the paint isn't actually on the part of the surface that is being welded it won't effect the weld itself. The paint will heat up and give off some fumes, and possibly flake or crack while welding, but if you grind the paint back a few inches from the edges, you'll be perfectly fine as far as weld integrity and strength go.

I think that drilling a hold and being very liberal with the paint application is the best idea though. It ensures that everything gets covered with something to keep moisture from the surface of the metal. If you use a wand there really shouldn't be any issues covering everything well enough.

I haven't welded on a rocker panel specifically, but I have welded on painted metal before. As long as the paint isn't actually on the part of the surface that is being welded it won't effect the weld itself. The paint will heat up and give off some fumes, and possibly flake or crack while welding, but if you grind the paint back a few inches from the edges, you'll be perfectly fine as far as weld integrity and strength go.

I think that drilling a hold and being very liberal with the paint application is the best idea though. It ensures that everything gets covered with something to keep moisture from the surface of the metal. If you use a wand there really shouldn't be any issues covering everything well enough.

New question for ya! What the heck is a wand? Is it for an HVLP sprayer or something I can attach to a rattle can. I'm thinking i'll just have to have a decent sized hole and spray the heck out of the inside with some rubberized undercoating.

ahhh screw it! I'll hit it with some rubberized coating before welding then take what i get. I don't plan on driving it in the rain much anyways and it'll be garage kept. Guess if it's taken nearly forty years for the rust to happen like it is that it'll be alright!

• 1 year later...

#3 post

Drill a hole on the back side. Spray with wand attachment and install rubber plug.

Use POR15, it can be applied to already rusted areas which will happen to welds very quickly. Just try to clean the parts as well as you can before welding, POR15 doest like oily surfaces.

Check out its use here: http://www.por15.com/Data%20Sheets/POR15ApplicationInfo.pdf