HybridZ

rb20 in a 78 280z

bLaCkONbLaCk

This has been covered many many times. You should be able to do a search and find everything you need to do the complete swap on this site. I do mean everything. There are also FSM manuals on the front page that you can get for the RB engines.

if you have the patience and skill then do it yourself. I did mine after reading just about every sticky on the top of this forum about two to three times. Mine took me a weekend to put the motor and tranny in and then probably another solid day to make my haltech work with it. It is a very nice feeling to get her all dun and stand back and say yep i did that, it was a biotch but i did that :D also if something goes wrong or bad down the road(which it will believe me) you will have the knowledge to fix it.

just my two cents ;)

is it really worth all the trouble to do it myself? i know letting my mechanic do it takes away half of the fun, but is it really worth the trouble or is it alot of trouble at all?

If you're going to spend the saved money on something ridiculous, then it will not be worth the trouble.

If you have the money to let someone else do the swap (usually 2x the DIY price), then save that money, do it yourself, and use the money towards a turbo timer, some good gauges, and an intercooler + bov setup.

Getting the motor in there isn't that big of an issue, you can buy everything you need to bolt it in from McKinney motorsports (probably other places, I just don't know them off the top of my head) and it will fit perfectly...the only issue is going to be wiring (they might even be able to help you out with that also), there is a really good wiring guide for an rb25 on here, I have no idea how similar it would be to an rb20. If you really want to get some basic swap experience without throwing down serious coin look into an l28et swap..which will get you about the same power as an rb20 with ALOT less headaches

and parts are more available for that l28et vs. the rb20....since it is the red headed step kid of the rb family....seriously if youre going that route your better off with an sr20 again tons of parts for them just more headache to put it in just like the rb...think about this alloott before you just tear stuff out....we dont need another stripped z project on the for sale forum :) plz they deserve better than that

the l28 is what is already in mine i just kind of want to have the experience in swapping out a motor. i have swapped motors before but they were all stuff that was made in the states so i know most of the basics. but with these foreign engine swaps i have discovered that they can be a bit different.