HybridZ

CV Axle boots...

Mikelly

Guest Anonymous

I've got the same problem-I need to replace the boots on my 280zx turbo CV axles and I would like to have somebody who's done it before give me some coaching. How do you remove the axle from the CV joints-is it a snap ring? Any help would be appreciated.

------------------

Tony

1972 240Z w/ZZ430/T56/GTO body kit

The shafts are peened after the end pieces are slipped on. You have to press the end pieces off (there may be a snap ring that needs to be removed first, but it's been a long time since I replace my boots). Then they are simply pushed back on after you replace the boot, then I re-peened the ends with a punch. They won't slide off or on easily because of the splines being peened, but a press makes it easy. They are only peened in a couple of places on each end.

Mike, do you mean torn or dried and cracked but not all the way through?

Even the guys at Raxles.com had a bit of a time putting new boots on my CV shafts. As I remember, the boot kits from Nissan are pricey. Mardi at Raxles.com may have a cheaper source.

I'd just send Mardi the halfshafts and let him go through them (he can't get new tulip receivers though - but does have some good spares usually). He uses some special synthetic grease and does nice work. It's not cheap though!

I'd actually approach Zbarn about getting them to swap you for a better set. A CV shaft with a torn boot should not be sent out to a customer, IMO. They owe you a replacement if it's actually torn.

Rack boots are easy. Motorsport and Vic British carry a generic one that works fine.

If you have coilovers, it'll be tough to fit a boot over that that doesn't get torn up by the spring. If anybody has a good way to do that, I'm interested.

Pete

Boots for struts - Aftermarket source -

Ever see those day-glo yellow large boots on 4x4 truck shocks? JC Whitney carries them (in black too) for about $5 ea. They are designed to fit 2-3/8" diameter shocks, but the clamp squeezed them snug around my 280's 2-1/4" strut housing. They are long enough to cover the entire strut rod with big holes on both ends, so they don't really have a "wiper" function, but keeps the mud out. Sure looked neat inside my blue ST springs, dunno about smaller-than-stock diameter coil-overs but I suppose with that much area in the bellows it would move with the spring, rather than rub against it.

Why would they do any more or any less of a job then the stock ones? It seems to me that the quality of the install would make the biggest difference. Being in California, I don't worry too much about excessive moisture anyway. I really have no desire to drive a V8 in the rain, especially with sticky dry weather tires! smile.gif

David

Pete, what did they charge you to go through your axles?? Mine are cracked and leaking axle grease... Might have to contact Zbarn...

Mike

------------------

http://hometown.aol.com/dat74z/myhomepage/auto.html

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk

[This message has been edited by Mikelly (edited March 30, 2001).]

I just got my CV halfshafts back from Raxles today, and they really look great. Same price as Pete mentioned. Even after starting with the used tulip receivers, they look like they are brand new. I'm pleased.

There was some delay in getting them to me, though. Apparently, Mardi just started using a new machine that cinches the bands down around the boots (I think that's what it does...) for an OEM fit and finish. He had to order new tooling and bands for the ZX CV joints, so I had to wait for that. The good news is that he is now equipped for these halfshafts, and subsequent customers shouldn't have to wait.

• 2 weeks later...

For coilover dust boots I got a tip from Scott Bruning to try a bicycle tire tub or similar and slip it over each end of my strut tube, one could put a few holes in it up top to keep it from insulating moisture but I've yet to see a chrome strut shaft rust either. just an ideer...the aftermarket shock boots were all two wide when I looked last spring

------------------

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.