HybridZ

83zxt wont start!

Guest datsun83zxt

Guest datsun83zxt

Im about 2 seconds away from calling the nearest junk yard and tell them come get my 1983zxt 2+2, Its not wanting to start now. It use to start but it spitt and sputtered and pop now since ai put the n/a turbo injectors in it wont do anything but turn over, I wasnt sure if the injectors would work but I was determined to get this thing going so I could beat up on some rice rods (4 banger tuners!). But it seems as if my injectors arent firing is it because they arent turbo injectors someone please help me!

put the n/a turbo injectors in

This sentence contradicts itself. Please help us understand what we're dealing with here.

If the car is really only worth $200 to you in it's current state, I'll fly out to where ever you are and buy it and get it running there and then.

What color are the injectors? Why did you change them? Did you think the old ones were bad? Where they just not there?

Are you getting spark?

Are you getting fuel?

Are you getting air?

Have you checked the timing?

The problem must be one of those. As soon as you diagnose which one it really is, then solving it doesn't take long.

Guest datsun83zxt
This sentence contradicts itself. Please help us understand what we're dealing with here.

If the car is really only worth $200 to you in it's current state, I'll fly out to where ever you are and buy it and get it running there and then.

What color are the injectors? Why did you change them? Did you think the old ones were bad? Where they just not there?

Are you getting spark?

Are you getting fuel?

Are you getting air?

Have you checked the timing?

The problem must be one of those. As soon as you diagnose which one it really is, then solving it doesn't take long.

I bought the car for $200 dollars and it was ran but my step dad ran it out of gas one time and every since then its been all down hill, when it did crank it popped and spitt so I found and old 1980 n/a turbo n I got the injectors (free) and now it wont even act like it wants to start since i put the n/a turbo injectors in .

There's no such thing as N/A Turbo injectors. What color are the injectors? Brown? White? Green?

N/A = Naturally Aspirated

Turbo = Force Inductino ie NOT naturally aspirated

The Turbo injectors are brown

NA is Green and White depending on year.

If you put in NA injectors the AFM would need to be recalibrated (spring loosened) or else you won't be getting enogh fuel. The NA injectors are only about 60-70% of the flow of the turbo injectors, that's a HUGE difference.

You can run NA injectors on a turbo motor, but I wouldn't run the engine past 4k on a regular basis. You'll be running pretty lean on the top end.

Guest datsun83zxt
Ran the old girl out of gas, not good. At least change the fuel filter out and check how much crud is in it.

I changed the filter, coil, spark plugs, and still nothing. I think im going to just change the injectors and put some turbo injectors in and then try to start her up. Thanks alot guys:icon46:!

• 2 weeks later...

waste of money, the car should at leeast fire and turn over for a while with the NA injectors, the fuel rate is only a little lower for na injectors

chill out turbo injector juys, T injectors and regulators are still good but MPG is good too

i got a ?, are NA and Turbo regulators the same?

No, the regulators aren't the same between NA and turbo.

And I guarentee the car WILL NOT start when switching injectors. How do I know? I recently did it! I went from NA to turbo injectors on a turbo engine and forgot to adjust the AFM, and the car wouldn't start.

Adjusting the injector flow REQUIRES you to adjust the air metering. There's nothing else to adjust on these engines that's safe. It's the only tunable aspect unless you modify the system to adjust fuel pressure, or tap into the cold start system which I think is dumb in most scenarios.

but this guy is going from turbo to NA injectors

try spraying some carb cleaner in the filter and give her a crank

and did you give any mind to this?

"check the fuel lines that go to the fuel rail and try switching them start the car and see"

my car sputtered one time and after wouldnt start when i changed my injectors and it turned out this was my problem

Yea, if anything it would be HARDER on an engine going from turbo to NA injectors, because now you're going SUPER LEAN and it'll be hard to ever accumulate enough fuel to have a good burn. At least when I went from NA to turbo i was getting TOO MUCH fuel meaning it was just going rich.

And it still wouldn't start. That should say something about how different the injector sizes are. IIRC (i'm not positive on this) the NA injectors are 180CC and the turbo are 260CC. That's a wooping 80CC difference, nearly 50% flow increase from NA to turbo.

Normally if I quesion if my fuel ratio is off I just open the AFM cover and control the AMF flaper doore while someone starts the engine.