HybridZ

260Z VS Insurance Co

Guest ax75f92

ill be having to insure my 74 260Z in a few months. What insurance companies are good?

I have mine insured with safeco through TWG insurance. the people i deal with are in dallas and I am in houston so they have no problem dealing with non local customers. I am curently paying for full coverage at an appraised $5000, and I pay around $16 per month. You must have another vehical on the policy also. cant just be a single car classic policy.

Speek with amber @ 682-334-9012

tell her that jeff callaway refured you. some times they have deals were they give both parties like gift cards or movie tickets for referals.

BTW, I pay close to $3300 / year for my 18 year old son's 2001 Jetta turbo, which to me is insane. In two year's time I will have paid them the entire value of the car!! He's carried on my policy with no traffic violations or accidents. As a matter of fact, the entire family, 4 drivers, 4 cars do not have tickets and we have never filed a claim!!

Your scaring the crap out of me. I've got a 13 year old.

I would find out how much you could buy the car back for. Likely 20% of the claim. You'd likely get a salvage title, but there is not much damage there at all.

I had collecter car insurance when I wrecked my Z. I insured it for 5K. Insurance totaled it and I bought the car back for $250.00. Easiest claim experience ever for an insuracne company.

My kids are going to get the license when they turn 16 and I won't let them drive for 2 years, inless earn their car and pay partial for their insurance. If they don't desire so, then all the better.

Jsm, hopefully your 13 year old is a girl!! Boys are more expensive to insure. My 23 year old costs me $1,860 / year. So it does get better...

Nope, boy, and a 10 year old girl. I just gave both my kids the "speach".

"If you think I'm paying $3300.00 a year for car insurance your nuts. You WILL get a job and you better start saving your money now!"

I hate sounding like my parents, but that is some crazy money. I'll have to check w/ my agent on what is the cheapest insurable car.

Definitely no TURBO, wow.

• 1 month later...
Guest ax75f92

Quick update:

My claim was settled and all is good. After raising hell with them they finally cooperated and did their job. Palo was completely right in saying everything is "on you". I had to provide them with more than enough recycler/auto trader/classified ads featuring cars of similar condition to prove its worth.

I took the car to Shinzo (not sure if you guys are familiar with him) and he gave it some much needed love.

Now Im looking at specialty car insurance through Hagerty. Some of you guys might want to look into it as well, save you the headache should the same thing happen to you.

Thank you guys for your help and information.

CHEERS

Wow, I'd buy it like that for $3500 :-)

Werd!

I'm glad it all worked out though. Insurance companies can be a real pain sometimes.

I'm a male, 20 (21 next week) with 1 point on my license (my fault for not fighting), and I've been quoted $90 a month from progressive for a 75' 280Z with a declared value of $2,000.

I've been on my parents insurance since I got my license and plan to change soon as I can afford that now, but here's the list of cars I've owned and had insured:

89' Integra

80' 280ZX

81' 280ZX

91' CRX

75' 280Z

There were also spans of time I didn't have any car insured, and was just on my parents policy. That was costing them about $30 a month.

Never once has my insurance been over $200 a month, so there IS hope for you parents worried about kids (like JSM). Just keep them in CHEAP DISPOSABLE CARS, not a 2001 Jetta Turbo (no offense in any way to the parents that do, I hope to have that kind of money when my kids are driving some day).

As long as the car is cheap, you're just paying for the unknown liability factor. Statistics show that 1/2 of all new drivers will be involved in an accident in their first 2 years of driving. New drivers are a risky business for insurnace companies. There's no real way for them to guage who will be a good driver, which is why the good student discount exists. Obviously if someone in their 40's with a perfect record was insuring a car that was only worth $2k then their monthly insurance would be next to nothing.

expensive insurance over there...

I've had so far:

82 Mitsubishi Sigma (ordinary sedan)

83 Laurel Medalist (luxury sedan)

88 Isuzu Bighorn (Trooper in the US, SUV)

87 Honda Prelude (Sports car coupe, 2.0L twin carb)

88 Renault 25 GTX (Executive saloon)

97 Rover MGF (sports convertible-fun and fast, more power and less weight than an Mazda MX-5 Miata)

87 Nissan Navara (Ute, light pickup truck)

?? early 80's Chevy Monte Carlo (V8 american enormous land-barge)

Plus a couple more I forget the details of. ranging from an 19 year old up to my current age of 27. insurance has never been more than $76 per car per month (thats for the sports cars, the diesel SUV and the sedans have been cheaper), in NZD which trades between 61c and 80c USD per $1NZD depending on the currency and economic fluctuations.

Currently I have a 1996 Serena MPV and a 1985 Toyota Hilux. I pay $52 a month for the van and the 4x4 is on the farm insurance.