HybridZ

Carbon Fiber Wheels?

Or imagine hitting a pot hole at 40 mph and a cheaply made aluminum wheel fails and you and your car go rolling down a mountain. If cost is your only concern, then good luck to you. Do a Google search (or your favorite search engine) and read up on the properties of these wheels. Pay attention to how many government tests they have passed, and to their reliability record in racing and extreme use.

I might look into these wheels, nice and lightweight, but if you want any weight wouldn't you want it at the wheels for more traction, these wheels seem more of a show, than a go wheel I saw them a few years ago at Hot Import Nights in chicago

Hi Jeff,

Do you realize that the average price people pay for a Z on this site is less than the cost of two of those wheels?

Yeah, and then we go out and spend 10's of thousands of dollars modifying our cars only to pretend that we don't have anything more invested than the initial purchase price!

Regardless, those are very cool rims, and while they're expensive now, I'm sure that the price will drop as production ramps up.

So hitting a pot hole at 40 with a CF wheel wouldnt do anything.... "?"

Also' date=' do you have these wheels or have you ever had an aluminum wheel fail?[/quote']

Where exactly does Jeff claim that CF wheels are indestructible? He's only implying that they're more durable. And I have seen aluminum rims that have shattered after hitting potholes.

Here's an example:

http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72740

Nigel

'73 240ZT

Nigel obviously sees the logic behind the design of these wheels. Dymag's website, Dymag.com, is very educational and enlightening. I suggest studying it with an open mind. It is based on physics, sound engineering principles, and careful testing. Also read the testimonials from the very high profile race teams and supercar manufacturers. True, we might have to wait for the prices to come down before we can afford them, but they'll be worth the wait.

Jeff

I might look into these wheels, nice and lightweight, but if you want any weight wouldn't you want it at the wheels for more traction, these wheels seem more of a show, than a go wheel I saw them a few years ago at Hot Import Nights in chicago

Lighter wheels = more traction because the suspension can cope better with less unsprung weight, keeping the tire planted. It will also equal more acceleration and better braking, as it is similar in effect to putting a lighter flywheel on at every corner of the car.

That said I could do A LOT of things to a Z with $8000, and I'd have a MUCH faster car on Diamond Racing steel wheels than the guy who just buys the CF wheels instead. If you have an unlimited budget, go for it, but if you have an unlimited budget, why are you driving a Z?

Challenger: Go to Dymag.com and click on "Technologies" in the top banner. The info there should answer alot of questions. But yes, they are made of a material which consists of woven carbon fibers and some sort of resin to solidify the layers of carbon fabric. I'm sure it gets more technical than that. Any carbon fiber expert want to help me out with this? :D

Jeff

I could do A LOT of things to a Z with $8000, and I'd have a MUCH faster car on Diamond Racing steel wheels than the guy who just buys the CF wheels instead. If you have an unlimited budget, go for it, but if you have an unlimited budget, why are you driving a Z?

LOL, $8000 for a pair of rims?!

I'm losing it.

I totally agree with Jmortensen on this.