HybridZ

Another New Ride

Phantom

Picked up an '83 Chevy Scottsdale that's been sitting outside for 25 years so is completely sun ravaged - dash is toast, upholstery is toast, and silver paint is down to a fine rust film. BUT - it has a good 400 engine & auto trans plus its a 4x4 3/4 ton with a snow plow on the front so perfect for maintaining the driveway in the winter and hauling trash to the dump.

Today I got word, however, that my 9 month search has finaly ended. A guy here in town managed to locate and pick up at auction in Arizona a 2005 Audi A8L that meets my spec's. It's northern blue pearl effect with an amaretto interior, sport package & cold weather package.

Most folks don't know that the A8L is the limo version of the big Audi and actually is the same length as a Chevy Tahoe. It has more legroom in the back seat than the front and a trunk you could camp in. Perfect timing in light of the new fuel prices popping up all around!:confused2 My fleet is now at 5 vehicles and 4 of them have V-8's. The good news is that I'm only 3 miles from the store and 4 miles from work.

Nice!!! I'm picking up another Z this weekend. Rust free west Texas car. 1971 240 w L28 + 5 speed. Haven't seen the car yet but a buddy of mine has...and he's pi$$ed that he's not getting the deal.

Supposedly the interior is toast but that's fine since I have my 240 gutted right now I'll canabilize parts for this one and buy fresh pieces for my 240 "project"

Car + nice car hauler flat bed for drum roll....$2K

Here is a pic of the trailer, different car (sold 260)

100_3805.jpg

Nice!!! I'm picking up another Z this weekend. Rust free west Texas car. 1971 240 w L28 + 5 speed. Haven't seen the car yet but a buddy of mine has...and he's pi$$ed that he's not getting the deal.

Supposedly the interior is toast but that's fine since I have my 240 gutted right now I'll canabilize parts for this one and buy fresh pieces for my 240 "project"

Car + nice car hauler flat bed for drum roll....$2K

Here is a pic of the trailer, different car (sold 260)

100_3805.jpg

Quit hording .... some of us are gonna need these deals in a few years !!

• 1 month later...

Finally got the A8L home Saturday, May 31st. It is a beauty. Absolutely immaculate. Folks think it's a brand new one when they first see it. Wife refers to it as a space shuttle because of all the electronics and the red back-lighting on the dash. The car has a 410 page owners manual that frequently refers to the 240 page MMI (computer) manual. It is a bit daunting.

I need to get it out without her to test out the functionality of the paddle shifters. Always wanted paddle shifters although I thought they might be in a car that weighs less than 4,200 lbs - and that's with an aluminum body AND an aluminum frame.

Still haven't taken any pictures of it - been too busy with estate projects.

One thing I know for sure - I'm amazed that there aren't more of these cars out there. Mercedes & BMW have nothing on this car and I personally like the styling better than the S class of the 7 series.

Yes, it has the 4.2 V8. No good idea on mileage yet as we're still on the first tank of gas and I won't get a true reading until I fill up and set a baseline that I can use to figure it on the second tank.

I'm out so far on the MMI. I see some pros in it but it still appears overly complicated. I'm taking it to the dealer I bought it from tomorrow to get some training in the system.

Not sure when I'll get to the pics. My schedule is a bit overwhelming right now.