HybridZ

scottymizt's rb30det project is finally underway

scottyMIz

well as the title states i finally started the build.... kinda :D i got a head from birdmanz(thanks again man) and i just bought a new/used turbine for my greddy t88 turbo and have her all assembled. I had a buddy donate some rb26 cams and i am getting the solid lifters from someone on fresh alloys. I also just bought an engine stand so i can get that sweet block i got from careless (raff u tha man)on the stand and start the build.... actually :)

also wanna thank racinjitter for gettin my block for me and helping convince me to go rb30 ;) i'll get pics tomorrow if i get time, work has me going like crazy so any spare time is going twords the car. I started the 280yz kit on the 280, so i am moddin everything to fit. I doubt i will actually get to drive it this year but when it does get back on the road it will be saweet. I have a c5 vette irs for the rear(scottiegnz inspired me on this one) sittin in the back yard waiting for the body kit to be dun. All my spare time and money are going into thie z this year, i blew it off the last two years for other projects. I will be updating this topic when i get it for those who wanna see :)

i am so excited that it will finally be the way i want it :D

thanks jeff, hey send me a pm with ur number again if u could, i lost all the data in the phone and had to do a back up so i lost ur number. I saw ur post about the new ic, (it looks like my old one) glad to see u got her going again.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

been waitin for you man!.

I really hope the block works out for you. I remember you saying one of the guys at your work was a welder of some sort, so I hope that worked out fine. It doens't look too serious, but I'd hate to be the guy that sold you a faulty piece of equipment... but 800 for two RB30's with all rotating assembly parts... can't beat that!.

What's the story with the block =) ?

the block is fine raff, had my buddy check it out and he said that if the block wasn't built like a sherman tank he would worry about it and weld it. He also said that welding cast is possible but he was afraid to weaken it more than strengthen it. I trust him, and your right can't beat the price that u gave us ;) Anyway if anything does break i know of a guy that can get me another :D I will have the whole rb25 left anyway so if it does break i will have a quick back up to drop in.

stealth, what are you getting machined, if you dont mind me askin?

what isn't he getting machined is a better question :(

poor guy been to like 29 machine shops and the block has gotten more seat time than tool time. :-(

reminds me of the cleaning I got on your block scotty. left to surface rust in the shop after being dipped in some crappy ass acid dip (probably some environmentally friendly stuff)... but WITH THE CORE PLUGS still in the block.

I'm glad I didn't keep the block there. and man did that guy ever talk until i had to pick my ears up off the floor. :-|

stealth, what are you getting machined, if you dont mind me askin?

Lets see, the list is not to bad.

1. Bore .020 over and final hone for proper clearance of the Wiseco's

2. Deck the block for a zero deck clearance for the pistons. There was an issue with it having a 4 thousanths difference between the front and rear pistons. Front measured .018 and the rear .022 in the bore. I am working towards getting a good quench. (Done)

3. Wiseco pistons have a 16cc dome. Calculations put the CR to be 9.3:1. So I plan to have about 10cc's of the dome removed to bring it down to 8.5:1. Wiseco said it is fine to cut the material.

4. Install JUN crank collar (Done)

5. Balance rotating assembly (Done except for pistons)

6. Adjust valves on the RB26 head (Almost done)

7. As long as it is there, drill and tap the new tensioner location.

Good news is it is nearly complete. Now we have to cut the pistons and balance them. So I am getting there.

• 2 weeks later...

more pics guys, i finally got the intake welded, man can my buddy weld :D

SANY0773.jpg

SANY0774.jpg

SANY0775.jpg

and a pile of parts ;) getting one more tote tomorrow for the head.

SANY0776.jpg

oh yea the bearings came in too, just need the pistons, rods and gasket set and i can start building the engine. Im just happy im making progress:D

Thanks for the warning,this is my second intake like this. Evan has my first one and beleive me they wont bow ;) it's not really sheet metal its more like plate and it is about 1/4 inch thick :D we got a ton of it lying around the shop so i used the big sheer and cut some pieces, tacked it up with an aluminum mig welder then had my buddy tig weld it for me.

Intake looks awesome. You may want to consider welding braces around the intake so it doesn't balloon and possible split. I have seen it happen with a few sheet metal intakes.

Mike

Heres what happened to mine while trying to start it up after I swapped out ECM's from a Tec2 to a Tec3r. The CAS sensor was sync'd wrong at the time...

dcp_0721.jpg