HybridZ

Forged piston sets?

2eighTZ4me

Search "Ross forged pistons" and "summit racing". I would imagine that it would be fairly easy to find forged dished L pistons, but the Ross pistons are a better deal last time I checked.

You might also consider finding a good set of L24 9mm rods and having the pistons made to work with those. Gets you a little better rod/stroke ratio and won't affect the price if you get the Ross pistons through Summit.

Hey Jon,

I searched up and down at Summit, and at Top End - there are no listings for the L28. Only the KA, SR, and RB motors. Is this something I'm going to have to request specially, or is it a non-stocking item that they'll have to "put together"?

I meant search here, not at summit. Sorry about that, I should have been more specific. They have a custom piston setup with rings, wrist pins, and retainers. Several years ago it was $463. If you bought the Nissan pistons at that time, you'd spend closer to $700.

I've been calling all over and everyone is telling me it's going to be a custom set. Since I'm going to have to go that route, can you point me in the direction of the 9mm 240 rods and a custom piston? The forums here are vast, and it sounds like you know exactly what you're talking about. I'm going to have to prove whomever with piston specs, - pin height, etc. etc. - do you have any of this documented with what specs you need to have the pistons cut at? I will continue to search - hoping you had a combo already on your mind that has been tested and proven. Have access to a set of 9mm rods however - which got the wheels turning....

No, I don't know what exactly the specs are. It has been discussed several times though, so you should be able to either find the info or the name of a person who has ordered the pistons through Summit by searching the archives.

to get the information straight from the horses mouth, you should get ahold of one of three books (honestly, all three are priceless reading; I have only thumbed through any of them but NEED to get them from my uncle)

How To Modify your Nissan & Datsun OHC Engine by Frank Honsowetz

How To Rebuild Your Nissan/Datsun OHC Engine

and

How To Hotrod & Race Your Datsun by Bob Waar

Unless it is from one of a handful of other sources, any specific engine internal info I gather from the internet is treated as "regurgitated internet knowledge of possibly questionable accuracy" and NOT to be used when ordering parts. My understanding is that even when your technical specs ARE all 100% accurate, your block and crankshaft sometimes wind up not quite matching them due to machine work done in the past. In that case, the only 100% reliable way to make sure you get the right pin height is to measure your parts as they will be assembled in the shortblock, and order based off of that.