HybridZ

GTO LS1 and Alternator Location

OK, I did search and I cant find a definative answer for where does my alternator need to move to and or do I even need to move it (for a S30 installation). It is from a 2004 GTO (5.7 L) and has the alternator lower on the drivers side.

I also understand that i need a F-body oil fan and pickup and dipstick? is this correct.

Anything else that I'm missing, any problems with the JCI engine mounts for this engine?

The GTO LS1 engine swap is a little bit of an odd ball so there is not alot of specifics out there on it and swapping it into a z

Thanks

I purchased the oil pan items listed in post #15 on the thread below, unfortunately I'm still a few weeks away from fitting them so I can't endorse them as yet.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=118395

I've noted on my Aussie LS1 that the dipstick enters via the oil pan so I will have to drill the crankcase to fit the corvette dipstick. It may not be clear on the photo of the original pan fitted to the engine, but the dipstick enters on the side of the pan near the front - If you have this pan you soon see what I mean. My LS1/t56 is from a Ute so the GTO may be different.

Also, the Aussie fitted t56 transmission has the shifter setback an additional 50-75mm or so. I recently purchased a Firebird short-shifter to replace the original but the alignment is all wrong and the lever is tilted forward when in neutral - haven't solved that one yet.

6966_thumb.attach

Firebird shifter_thumb.JPG

Just went through this alternator issue. The original alternator from the GTO will tempt you to retain it but after all the attempts at rotating the rear cover for proper clearance , It still will not clear the left motormount arm on the lower suspension crossmember. We used the engine mount kit from JCI After much effort we relented and bought the alternator and mounting bracket for the 02 Camaro set up . This fits with a small modification to the plastic rear cover on the alternator case but has lower amperage output than the GTO. This should not be a big issue since the Z runs a pretty basic electrical system . We also changed the oil pan to a Corvette unit. It fits the application but still hangs about an inch below the crossmember . Were thinking of adding a small guard to the crossmember just incase. You'll also find that the oil pump pickup tube and the windage pan will also need to be changed to the Corvette style.

I was able to use the GTO alternator (LS2) by cutting the stud as short as I could get it, then modifying the motor mount slightly using a hole saw. Didn't really have to remove very much. I am sure I didn't hurt the strength of the mount at all. I used a B&M shifter for the GTO which eliminates the set back and extra linkage in the GTO shifter. I also used a Camaro oil pan, pick-up, and dipstick and tube, but the newer Corvette pan has better baffles. You will also have to come up with a Camaro/Firebird motor mount for the drivers side. The Gto mount will not work with the Johns kit. If you use the JTR headers, you will also have to relocate the oil pressure sender to the top, rear of the motor. John's adapter will not work with these headers.

Mike

anyone have a orig gto shifter forsale ? i need mine to go back further i am using a viper tranny and it is the shortest of the t56

I'll need to look around the shop, I know its here somewhere? If I can find it you can have it for the shipping.

Mike

I was able to use the GTO alternator (LS2) by cutting the stud as short as I could get it, then modifying the motor mount slightly using a hole saw. Didn't really have to remove very much. I am sure I didn't hurt the strength of the mount at all. I used a B&M shifter for the GTO which eliminates the set back and extra linkage in the GTO shifter. I also used a Camaro oil pan, pick-up, and dipstick and tube, but the newer Corvette pan has better baffles. You will also have to come up with a Camaro/Firebird motor mount for the drivers side. The Gto mount will not work with the Johns kit. If you use the JTR headers, you will also have to relocate the oil pressure sender to the top, rear of the motor. John's adapter will not work with these headers.

Mike

Will I run into the same problems with my LS1 from a 2004 GTO? (automatic)

i made my own mount for rear of alternator out of 5/16 steel to mount rear of alternator its same as alloy factory one just goes up a bit higher to clear engine mount also cut down plastic cover around alternator post and made thinner nuts to bolt lead to positive post its a close fit but still works with jci kit

got caught with shifter cut tunnel to match gto gear lever then realised id it was too far back so bought after market gearlever set it up but it leant forward so i heated and bent to suit also cut lots off the lever

mick

The stud is the hot cable bolt. Cut it as short as possible and still be able to mount the cable. I ground the plastic insulator down too. John's kit utilizes one stock camaro/firebird motor mount that would come with a donor engine, so doesn't come with the kit. The GTO motor mounts are very different and won't work, so you need to source a camaro/firebird mount.

Mike