HybridZ

Need a little rear end help

tech9

Got my 280z running and it was OK for a week or so, then there was some noise while driving, and it eventually turned into a scary situation like the ujoints were about gone. After inspection the unjoints seem fine, so we thought maybe the rear end bearing, or gears. IT only happened with certain speeds while driving, but was just making all kinds of noise and shake. Lifted it on jacks and ran it, and it was just shaking all over. Well more then defiantly its a rear end we think. Problem is, not sure which rear we have (new to zcar stuff) car is a 77 manual tranny, so signs point to R200? Well would it be better to repair or just find a new rear? Would any R200 work? What else could I do? How can I tell exactly what rear I have? I'm sure its stamped somewhere?

Driveshaft has been replaced, and on the shaft is salvage yard stamped 73 240z auto. Not sure if that will help or not. Just trying to figure out what needs to be done to get my baby back up and running.

Thanks in advance.

1) Why are the moustache bar nuts removed?

2) Why is your front differential crossmember removed? It looks like it's been MIA for a while based on the rust.

3) Have you checked the torque on the nuts?

4) Bushings.

Why, would those missing have any affect on ShAkInG. :)

From the photos it looks like they were just removed. It looks like the areas around the mustache bar bolts is black and if it had been removed for some time it would have dirt and crap stuck to it to make it look like the rest of the area around the diff... hopefully im right.

Nah I drive that ♥♥♥♥ without the bolts. Tried to lighten up the car for racing.

:flamedevi

I was in the process of removing the driveshaft to make sure there was no noise from the tranny or driveshaft. I knew that I had to take it apart to get to the rear anyway. Was actually tough to get the driveshaft bolts out with all that removed. I might put it all back when I get a new rear....

• 1 month later...

Still having an issue with this problem, and just don't know what else to check. Put in another R200 rear, new oil, etc..Rechecked balance on wheels/tires, checked all the ujoints on driveshaft / haft shaft.

It only happens at around 30 mph, and when you get to around 60 mph.

I was going to pull the shafts and have them checked for balance, maybe replace the joints just in case.

Just wondering what else you can suggest.

How would I go around to check driveline angles?

Thanks for all the help guys.