HybridZ

rear camber?

Guest loudzigen

Guest loudzigen

Ok guys, well ive lowered my 280zx some more..so much so that the negative camber as become really obvious, not really bad though. Is there any options for any camber adjust for the rear? i searched around on the net for aftermarket kits but found none:(

Search "slotted crossmember" and "penultimate crossmember". Try 510 sites as well. I think MSA used to sell a kit for the ZX but no longer does. The kit just had some eccentric adjusters. You can just cut slots and move things around with a prybar if you can't find the adjusters.

Guest loudzigen
Search "slotted crossmember" and "penultimate crossmember". Try 510 sites as well. I think MSA used to sell a kit for the ZX but no longer does. The kit just had some eccentric adjusters. You can just cut slots and move things around with a prybar if you can't find the adjusters.

Cool, thanks, actually i do remember reading something about using 510 parts for the zx. Ill look into it

SPC (Specialty Parts Corporation) used to make a rear camber adjustment kit for the 510/ZX. As of about 3 years ago, they're no longer making it and have no parts left over to assemble a kit from parts. Good luck finding one. I've successfully used the "front" kit on the rear of my ZX, but it's a royal pain in the arse to install and if you don't have their particular hole saw do install it with, you're gonna be basically pissing in the wind. Best to use the slotting method shown on the 510 site. I used to have the link to it, but no longer have it. I think it was found through "Dime Quarterly" or something like that. Wish I could be of more help, but until I remove a good set of rear adjusters and have them duplicated, I can't be. Maybe I'll get working on that since I have 2 sets in the rear (toe in and camber)...I'd have to pull mine apart to do it though, and I'm really not looking forward to doing that.

Warren

Good question...although I just checked their (K-Mac) catalog (online) and it shows a rear kit for $320 US... seems really high for what it is. I can see now I'm gonna be making some of these kits if they're selling for that much...I can probably make them in stainless for that kinda money.

I also remember K-mac making a kit.

I have two SPC/MSA kits installed on my car, which have been critical for properly setting up my suspension. However, I think that slotting might be better and certainly easier. I also have continual rotation of the bushings (I marked the spot for proper alignment with white paint and then re-adjust once in a while, easy to do). Lastly, make sure you slot for toe adjustability and replace the bushings. A little bit of toe in (1/8-1/16") in the rear of the 280zx does wonders (actually it's a must in my opinion).

Here are a few links on slotting you can browse through:

http://www.az-zbum.com/modification.adjustable.camber.shtml

http://dimequarterly.tierranet.com/articles/tech_crossmember_slotting.html

http://www.garymolitor.com/300zx/cambermod/cambermod.htm

Just checked Black Dragon..no listing but MSA still has a listing for the kit and a hole saw kit. You will need it to install the camber toe kit. If you wish to have full toe and camber adjustablity you should get 2 kits. I installed only one on my car and just it's barely enough for suspenion tuning, after lowering and WIDE wheels and tires.

The kit that MSA sells is a different one than the Specialty Products sold. The slotted washers would seem a little more trusting than the offset ones that tend to rotate like the specialty products ones do from time to time. But, I'd suggest welding the washers into the holes you cut with the hole saw, otherwise they're likely to rotate just like the SP ones.

group234178.jpg

Keeping the tension on ANY of these that can rotate is a problem in itself.

IMO, slotting the crossmember mounts is still a better way to do it.