HybridZ

Would anyone like a "cheap" SBF write up?

Nodus

We have the extreamly well done write up done by Z8driver along with extensive documentation spread over many threads by blueovalz and alsil, but no real low buck/easy offerings like the chevy guys have.

Would you guys read a low budget "get the bloody thing in and running damn it!" kind of write up?

If it was a PDF I'd pay $5-10 for it.

If it were in a printed form that was obviously done on someone's printer on standard paper I'd pay $10-15 for it.

If it were on full color paper with spiral binding and tabs for each section designed for easy in-shop navigation I'd pay $20-30 for it easily.

And yes, I'm interested in it. The SBF swaps are the main V8 swap I think I'll ever do. And spending a litte bit of money on a well written and organized book would be worth it.

I'd be much appreciative if the EFI 5.0 was covered as well.

I was thinking free with some google ads at the worst, and cheap ass, as in c4+ carb+ home made engine mounts +r180 with provisions to swap the r200 later.

I wil be building a efi system based off mega squirt later. Right now i am talking the shortest way to a running car.

I picked up a working c4 for 50 dollars

I picked up a carb manifold for 60

I got the motor(89 351w out of a bronco) for a old f350 cab

carb is a holley 4160 from said f350

distributor from summit for 150

Sure its not perfect, but it will run and I am into the whole car for less than 1k, and I will be over the major hurdle of getting it in and running. Once there I can do coil overs, a manual valve bodied aod(4 speed) trans, a r200, a engine rebuild and a cv swap. Too many people seem to give up before that because they never get it running.

Mine will be EFI with a WC T5 that is found in the 95 Cobra's. As it sits right now - I have a JTR transmission mount that I will redrill, and a universal crossmember mount from TransDapt for the motor. Still need to order the motor mounts themselves and get the R200 mounted before I try to put the engine/trans in the car. The only problems I forsee with the actual mounting of the motor is going to be the crank pulley/oil pan and crossmember clearance.

ECU will be one of the DIY tuners that are available for the EEC modules.

• 3 months later...

I am currently looking at a very nice 82 ZX without the motor/trans in it for $600 with the sole purpose of swapping in a late 80s/early 90s 5.0L Ford and a 5 speed.

My plan is to just get the motor in the car and driving with all the bugs sorted out, then I can easily pull it and do a complete rebuild (done it before several times) with a goal of 350-375 HP that will still knock down 20-25 MPG.

I will probably use a JTR rear crossmember (re-drilled), and build a front mount crossmember out of square tubing under the oil pan. It will be on a tight budget, so I would appreciate any help from good writeups.

• 2 months later...

I just bought a 71 240z and will be doing a 5.0 EFI T5 conversion. This will be mainly a track car. I plan on doing a write up and documenting it well. Being a full time college student and pretty broke is gonna drag it out for a while though. I hope to start the body work and roll cage in a week or so. I an hoping to finish the car by Summer. I will log the whole project on here though.

The SBF swaps are interesting to me, mainly because of the greater availability of the T5s for them. T5s for the SBC are just plain spendy, and the Muncie's don't have the most friendly gear ratio.

Just have to work on finding some good insurance carrier that will be nice to me with such an older ride. Don't really want to pay 1xx for a Z a month.

The article about the 240 swap wasnt so bad, a lot of very valuable info, as far as the mounts go i changed mine up somewhat and used double 1" schedule 40 pipe with 4" outside to outside dimensions with the same angles he used and made it removable from the 2 angle side frame braces, all for under $20 and 3 hours fabrication, the rear x member was easier, cut a 21/2" pipe coupler in half to form the arches for the exhaust and wels 1/2" flat between them and on the ends, $15 and 1 hour fab, quick and easy installs mean 1 thing to me ...failure along the way, doing it right the first time, z frames are not easily straightened.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest 7mgteftw

i would love to see a ford write up. my best friends dad has been drag racing his whole life and has an obscene amount of ford engines already built he just told me he woul,d give me for free if i could pull this off!

granted this is my first time owning a z< i have a 74? 260>

but this sounds like an awesome combo. if power to weight is the issue, i see no reason to stay chevy. the ford blocks really are alot lighter.. heck, even a 429 cobra jet i think weighs less...

well I ended up selling my z (too many projects, too little time)

The highlights of my plan was:

use alsils mounts

use a c4 trans(fits just fine)

use the jags that run trans mount for a chevy swap. Will need holes drilled.

get a driveshaft made from the stock z shaft

reuse the r160 rear diff (unless you have a built engine, then go r200 or even r230 (with custom axls (from msa) and a custom mount(a hybridz guy sold them)

use a carb and a hei style distributor.