HybridZ

does a 300 lsd bolt up on a 79zx

Guest Anonymous

• 3 years later...

It bolts right in and the fined cover fits as well.

The mounting bracket is different, but you just bolt the bracket from the 280zx straight onto the 300zx lsd unit.

The CV's slip in with no modification.

The hardest part is to take the main driveshaft mounting flange off the 300zx unit and bolt the 280zx one in. It is a direct swap. However taking the flange bolt off can be a pain. You may want to take the diffs to a shop so they can use an impact gun to get the nut off.

Other than that enjoy, it's so worth it.

Ah! I just noticed that you said a 79zx. I have no idea if the cv's bolt up to your 79 hub or not. I put the 300zx lsd into my zx, but it is a 83 turbo which came with the cv's. You can probably take a look under your car and compare/measure the cv to hub flange and see if it is the same or double check with Ross as Pete suggested.

Darrel,

The CV axles will not bolt to your 79 stub axle flange. I am not sure the splines for the 79 and turbo stub axle are the same or not. It's not important. The important thing is the 79 stub axles are very very hard to remove because the "big nut" is pinched onto the stub axle shaft. However on the turbo they are not pinched. When I did my conversion I just swap the whole entire rear A-arms from the turbo car. It was much easier that way and also I have 82-83 brakes also. Double check to see the splines for the stub axles are the same on both models. If so I have the turbo stub axles in my garage that I can sell them to you. GL

PS. you have to flip up the foam padding to flip the rear differential mount for the R200 to fit.