HybridZ

Sometimes it IS the little things that make it complete

Warren

Well, after alot of pondering, tinkering with different materials and tossing ideas around about what to do with the stock shifter cover on my car, after getting the shifter mounted in the stock location and trying NOT to reinvent the wheel, I finally decided to act on one of the thoughts. I have some engraving material here, normally used to make engraved name badges and thought it might come in handy for something. Well, it did. After moving the shifter indicator to a digital readout on my dash, I just had to do something about the fugliness that was left over. It took about an hour to shape the little bugger to get it just right, but it came out great as far as I'm concerned. Keeps the stock look, but cleans it up a bit. Here are the before/during and after pictures.

Shifter3.jpg

shiftercover.jpg

Now I just need to remove and respray my console with some semi-gloss black as I did the surround and it'll all match. Excuse the cables shown, they get tucked away in the end. They're for my SDS programmer and the LM1.

Thanks guys. I just took my time and made sure it came out the way "I" wanted it to.

Doc - you missed this part...

I have some engraving material here, normally used to make engraved name badges and thought it might come in handy for something. Well, it did.

Then again, I failed to mention that it's plastic, black on one side and silver on the other, and yet for some reason, I'm the one who doesn't get the part about the "walmart greeter"...

Thanks guys. I just took my time and made sure it came out the way "I" wanted it to.

Doc - you missed this part...

I have some engraving material here, normally used to make engraved name badges and thought it might come in handy for something. Well, it did.

Then again, I failed to mention that it's plastic, black on one side and silver on the other, and yet for some reason, I'm the one who doesn't get the part about the "walmart greeter"...

Here at one of the family businesses we do metal engraving, so I assumed the same.

Your many talents now are known, so you can quit your second job! :lmao:

I am a firm believer that small details are the key to a project's completion and personal satisfaction. Often, I see cars that are awesome projects but there are signs of lack of attention to detail. Crooked gauges, a wrinkle in the carpeting, a skewed radio face, or a peeling sticker.

My recommendation is to a take few minutes, a few beers, basic tools, some good backround music, chill out and search for out-of-sorts in the car. 9 times out of 10 there is a cheap and easy fix for these little details right in front of you. To some this may be low priority, but as the large priority items are completed, don't lose your focus too soon. Go hunt down some details. I use the method as a way to relax and wind down from a big project and finish it off with a brisk drive in the car.

Your console cover is a perfect example!