HybridZ

Air injection exhaust? huh? L6 manifold

It is part of the emission control system on the L24. They are air injection ports that were connected to a belt driven "smog pump" that injected air into the exhaust. It was simply to help dilute the exhaust before it left the tail pipe.

It is part of the emission control system on the L24. They are air injection ports that were connected to a belt driven "smog pump" that injected air into the exhaust. It was simply to help dilute the exhaust before it left the tail pipe.

Seems kinda funny to do that - won't it just dilute itself once it's actually out of the exhaust? I've seen it before but I'm betting it actually helps the remaining fumes burn up in the exhaust system.

Seems kinda funny to do that - won't it just dilute itself once it's actually out of the exhaust? I've seen it before but I'm betting it actually helps the remaining fumes burn up in the exhaust system.

Cali smog laws are FUBAR, so you need to get around them somehow, and that was probably the cheapest way for it to be done from the factory. That is one of the reasons that I went with a pre-75 Z...

I've seen them before but didn't have one on my non-California '78. I've often thought of finding a pump and bracket and re-plumbing to make it a vacuum pump for crankcase evacuation. If I had more package space in that area, it might be worth a try, but alas...

The air injection adds oxygen to the exhaust to help complete the burn and lower the pollutants. The tube is close to the exhaust valve to make sure it's catching hot flame. If you haven't seen this before you must be a young whippersnapper.

AIR

Air

Injection (Induction)

Reduction (Reaction)

System component, and was supplied on all L24 and L26 Cerburetted Engines subject to FEDERAL emissions laws (this is not a 'California only' emissions component).

This is the same system that was installed on Domestic cars as early as 1966 in California (My 66 Cal Spec Chevrolet Corvair Monza had it, Federal Cars didn't). Most universally it was installed on just about EVERY car in 1973 to comply with the new regulations.

This with only ONE injector functioning will clean up the exhaust on a properly adjusted 71 240Z with SU's to catalyzed 1983 specifications! The cleanup of post-burning excess HC's really helps scrub the exhaust.

Today some vehicles use the AIR pumps to supply enough oxygen to let the Catalytic Converter function as there is not enough excess oxygen in the exhaust to sustain combustion.

R&T (or one of them) did a test back in the day involving cutting off the long tubes to help flow while still retaining emissions compliance and they did notice a slight bump in HP or decrease in time to distance/speed by this modification.

Most people are too young to remember HEADERS that were designed to ACCEPT these tubes. The law in CA formerly WAS that as long as all emissions devices were in place and functioning the modification (headers) were legal.

Then the state found out they could force people to pay tribute and go through a TEST for which they pay a buttload of money to do, and if htey pass they are rewarded with the much acclaimed "CARB EO/LEGAL" sticker for their product. So now, those old 'Smog Legal' AIR Injection Tube headers aren't legal, technically, since they don't have a "CARB EO" Certification.

I like how the out-of-state seller relies on myths to sell the part ("if you want to keep your car on the road in California you need this..." I won't argue that the part is becoming 'rarer' but last I checked (couple of years ago) Nissan still had the Air Gallery assembly in stock! BRAND NEW!

Kinda Pricey for what it is, IMO. But if you need one for a 240Z to be 'correct' I guess you would pay that (it's for an early car, you can tell by the hot air snorkel on it...later cars '73-74' have a shorter more direct connection to the middle of the air cleaner instead of it's snorkel up front.)

katman, that actually makes more sense than the "dilution" description I heard previously.

Hey! Why don't I get credit for that?! :(:lol: