HybridZ

I hear ya Big Phil. I'm at it again. driveshaft

ZR8ED

I hear ya Big Phil. These cars are great, but great hp sure takes its toll on stuff.

I finally completed my long awaited rear disc swap, I got out for a test drive to set up the brakes, everything looks good works pretty good too! I took it out again to give the brakes a harder workout, and suddenly I have a new driveline type noise. I took it to a tranny shop, and I discover my driveshaft ujoint is toast. The grease nipple fell out, and is now no good. I just had it custom built 8 years ago!

No hoist at home, and last night I jacked up the car, crawled under it and thank the Lord that my custom driveshaft is much easier to remove that the stocko one. I did not have to remove any other parts to get to it. I also remembered the little trick of rotating the driveshaft back and forth while using my box end wrench to get more rotation of the nut. I have a set of box wrenches that have the gear rachet on them, and decided to try them out. It didn't fit in there all that well, but it made it even quicker to remove the driveshaft nuts. I didn't have to remove the wrench each time. I just rotated the driveshaft back and forth, until the nuts came off! I took less than 1/2 hour to do the whole thing.

I've got the driveshaft in the trunk, and will drop it off at the driveline shop on my way home. I hope I will be only out of action for a few days....until..

I noticed that my ebrake cable is very accessible with no driveshaft, so I will swap the rear E brake cables left/right as per the direction for the 240sx rear caliper swap! While I'm at it is happening all over again..I just might do some cleanup work under there too! AHHHHHhhhhh!

Cheer Up Phil. This happens to Hybridz'rs all too often. Get it back running, and life will be back to being good.

Good Luck!

Scott

Man that sucks, Last night my alt. went out so I got the red top $200 batt, and a 240sx alt. Got it running again today, but what will break next? Chin up, look at it as we break stuff because we make so much tq, and hp!!!

If you guys are anything like me, even if your car was perfect you would find something to do or just start another project!!

Evan

Damnit, WHY, WHY do you have to speak the truth?

Now I need to sign up for the classes.... Wait, I'm not going to take that first step, I won't admit it, nope.....

I just wish mine would stop breaking so that i could actually finish it and drive it, stupid combo switch is all that is really standing in the way of me daily driving my z dammit. So to all of you who are breaking parts on the Z's your daily driving be thankful that you had some daily driving time and are not a stupid ass like myself who had a nice daily driver and deiced to yank the running 6 for an 8 and 3 yrs later so close to finished but being held up by the little things. BTW ZR8ED and Phil both your cars are great congratulations on them, maybe someday ill figure out what i've done to my switch start driving my car and be able to post here about breaking something after daily driving.

Hasn't everyone with a turbo L engine blown a few headgaskets while learning to tune, then lost the timing chain off the tensioner at least once while replacing the headgasket due to the aformentioned headgasket failure, then removed the front cover twice to repair an oil pan gasket leak properly, then found unmentionables in the oil pan, then blown several transmissions over the last several years? Last year I removed and installed the transmission 4 times due to various issues. Not that I'm whining about it or anything.......

X64V. Not old..just young when I got it in the summer of 89. (not quite like in the song "In the summer of 69") cause there were no z's here yet. Ok Ok back to the story. ;)

Yea eight years ago I had it built. I didn't really expect to have to touch it before my halfshafts which were done at the same time! They are holding up ok. No cv's for me. I have good axle geometry, so I have had very little trouble with my halfshafts since I ditched the welded diff.

I think the driveshaft ujoint bit the bullet because the grease nipple fell out and it dried up.

Anyways. I took the shaft to the shop yesturday, and the guy told me he was going to leave early on fri and not be back till tues, so he did the shaft for me while I waited! 40$ and I was done and gone in a 1/2 hour! yippie. I can now get under the car this weekend and get it all back together...as long as my "while I'm at it" doesn't get too carried away. hehe

BTW he had a nice set of honda seats that look like they will fit nicely 180.00 black/grey with red. Hmmm One thing at a time here..

Scott

An update. I got the driveshaft back in, cleaned up my tools and took the beast out for a test run. No more creaking driveshaft noises. Lots of smooth power going to the ground.

It worked!

Life is back to being good.