HybridZ

Felpro Head gasket question

m1ghtymaxXx

Well I had planned to throw the top end back on my motor back together this weekend, and thought it would be a good idea to see what I could find out on hybridz before going ahead. First thread I came across explained that there are several different coolant passages configurations between L-series engines. I figured since all f54's should be same, and me rebuild kit is specifically for an 83 turbo, I should be good to go, but thought I should compare the headgasket to the head just in case.

Well here's what I discovered:

with the headgasket on. I've circled the coolant/oil (could someone tell me which are which?) passages left open:

HPIM0003.jpg

HPIM0006.jpg

HPIM0007.jpg

And with the headgasket off, I've circled the passages blocked:

HPIM0005.jpg

Now I just went back and dug up some old pics of my block, and it looks like the stock HG had provisions for the passages, but they didn't continue into the block.

HPIM0257.jpg

So what does this mean, will this gasket work?

Edit: This is a P90a and f54 turbo block from an 83 zxt. I'm quite certain the motor had never been opened up before.

Did you read my post on page 7 of that thread? What I've come to find is that you buy the gasket for the block. There were different designs for different years. They blocked different passages for reasons that I haven't found yet, but they must have had their reasons none the less. The FSM pictures I've found of head gaskets match their Fel-Pro counterparts exactly.

• 4 months later...

Rather than begin a new thread if I don't have to I will state my learnings and then ask my question here.

Yes, match the gasket to the year of the block. This seems to be the general consensus everywhere.

Now my question:

I have used the Nissan gasket with good luck with a few coats of copper spray on each side just before assembly.

I am about to install the above Fel-Pro gasket for the 83 bolck. Part number 9799PT. It is a metal layer gasket with some sort of "printo-seal" material coating both sides. It feels like a shiny, sticky, "rubberized" layer over the gasket. It feels like it's a silicone material with raised ribs to seal the timing cover area and the oil passage. Should I use the copper spray on this gasket or not?

I am going to try to pose the question to Fel-Pro but maybe you guys already know the answer.

I wouldnt worry about the copper coating. Ive been running a felpro on my 280ZX flat top with an MN47 pushing around 11.5:1 compression for YEARS now and havent had any problems with it whatsoever. and this thing was a daily driver for me for a few years.

What I've come to find is that you buy the gasket for the block.

I think this is true only for l28 heads on l28 blocks. I am using a p90 head gasket on my turbo'd l24/p90 setup. If I use an l24 head gasket, the top of the gasket will be exposed to the combustion chamber.

That sounds like exactly like the gasket I recieved for my 82zx.

Felt kinda like a wet suit. The rasied part seemed to be RTV inbedded in to the gasket. Conpared to what I took off, seemed very nice.

The engine is in my garage, some day I will pull the head and see how it did and how easy/difficult it will be to remove.

Rather than begin a new thread if I don't have to I will state my learnings and then ask my question here.

Yes, match the gasket to the year of the block. This seems to be the general consensus everywhere.

Now my question:

I have used the Nissan gasket with good luck with a few coats of copper spray on each side just before assembly.

I am about to install the above Fel-Pro gasket for the 83 bolck. Part number 9799PT. It is a metal layer gasket with some sort of "printo-seal" material coating both sides. It feels like a shiny, sticky, "rubberized" layer over the gasket. It feels like it's a silicone material with raised ribs to seal the timing cover area and the oil passage. Should I use the copper spray on this gasket or not?

I am going to try to pose the question to Fel-Pro but maybe you guys already know the answer.

Sounds like mine. I was told not to use anything, as it already has a similar sort of coating. It's sticky to keep it from slipping during installation as well.