HybridZ

whats a good L28 piston ring compressor?

cjames

Finally got my rotating assembly back from the balancer, and I'm ready to assemble the bottom (still waiting on the head, and I havent rebuilt the turbo yet). Looking around the shop I found that I dont have a ring compressor that fits, everything I have is way too large (Cat and Cummins stuff) What do you guys like for a ring compressor tool? I looked on Summit, and didnt find anything that looked like it would fit the 86mm properly.

Ummm.. almost any normal ring compressor will go "down" to that size. Go to shucks.

Yeah, I suppose I could get one of those el cheapo adjustable band style, but I kinda have a thing for "nice" tools. I was hoping there was another option that I've overlooked.

• Administrators

This compressor pictured below is the exact one I use for all my engine builds, from Datsun’s to 540 CID Big Blocks. Inexpensive, consistent, very quick to use and move on to the next piston, and it’s universal. Sure, a dedicated tapered ring compressor for the exact size is just a tad easier and nicer, though not everyone has the space to store or a budget to acquire 200+ individual ring compressors!

The corrugated shape of this style is a huge benefit in that it remains on the block deck instead of slipping down the bore between the piston crown and cylinder bore wedging itself there like the cheapo band style ring compressors do.

I do NOT know this eBayer, though anyone wanting a decent inexpensive ring compressor should seriously consider this one, or keep a sharp eye for another...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ring-compressor-3-inch-to-5-inch-pistons_W0QQitemZ130227237494QQihZ003QQcategoryZ29527QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

6d57_1.JPG

Paul, I've seen that tool around before, and forgot all about it. I believe SnapOn sells a Bluepoint version of it (probably over priced). I know youve built a few engines in your time, so if you give it a good review, I'm sold.

Thanks!

I build my own, basicly a tapered sleeve, that tapers to the bore diameter, and is large enough at the opening, to compress the rings, this is the only method to ensure there will not be any broken or chipped rings, when installing. I have a pretty big selection now for all of the different engines I have built. If you ever look at top engine/race builders, this is what they use.

Cjames have you gaped the rings properly?

I do not know the spec but it is really inportant.

Havent checked the ring gap yet, still need to soap and water wash things, put a little paint on the block, and clean the shop before before I lay the crank and stuff pistons. I'll post details on how close all the specs were in a different thread after I have all the data from the build logged.

I will mention that the first set of ITM pistons had a 13 gram descrepancy though.... I got 6 more, and we made a set that was within a gram or so before balancing.