HybridZ

My RB26/TH400 install write-up

Booztd 3

Alright guys, I told you an update was coming, so here it is!

After going through 3/4 transmissions due to broken shift forks, bad syncrhos, etc, I decident that since most of my time in the car is spent on the drag strip, its probably best that I go the automatic route. After alot of talks with Brett Dempsey at BDE (Brett Dempsey Engineering) we decided a reverse manual vavle body TH400 was the way to go. Brett has developed a conversion kit for the VG30 and the RB26.

The specs are as follow:

Built TH400

BDE RB26 Conversion Kit

JW Aluminum Transbrake w/Reverse Manual Valve Body

TCI Deep Aluminum Pan

Precision 5000 stall converter

B&M Composite X Shifter

Custom OEM 1-piece driveshaft

B&M Supercooler TH400 Kit

Now On to the install pics!

Current Engine Bay Setup

TH400_Install_01.JPG

OEM Crossmember vs Modified OEM Crossmember

TH400_Install_07.JPG

Autometer Mechanical Trans Temp Guage mounted to the Roll Cage

TH400_Install_10.JPG

Composite X Shifter

TH400_Install_12.JPG

B&M Super Cooler TH400 kit from Jegs

TH400_Install_13.JPG

ARP 7MGTE Flywheel Bolts (same pattern as 300ZX/RB26)

TH400_Install_14.JPG

Here's the old 5spd, had a pretty decent grind in 4th.....getting ready to come out

TH400_Install_Moons_01.JPG

A good friend allowed me to use his garage which had a really nice lift and trans jack

TH400_Install_Moons_12.JPG

TH400_Install_Moons_02.JPG

A closer look at the tranny & conversion. The bell housing is a modified RB26 automatic bell housing

TH400_Install_Moons_03.JPG

Here's the difference between the OEM flywheel bolts and the ARP bolts

TH400_Install_Moons_04.JPG

The OEM bolts stuck out too far, sine the flexplate is thinner than the flywheel

TH400_Install_Moons_05.JPG

This may be hard to tell, but the RB26 has a dowel pin for alignment of the flywheel. This had to be removed

TH400_Install_Moons_06.JPG

Trans on its way in

TH400_Install_Moons_07.JPG

TH400_Install_Moons_08.JPG

Here you can see the precision converter

TH400_Install_Moons_09.JPG

The trans went in super easy. The crossmember is mounted to an OEM TH400 tranny mount

TH400_Install_Moons_10.JPG

TH400_Install_Moons_11.JPG

Getting the 5spd stuff out of the way

TH400_Install_19.JPG

Shifter contents

TH400_Install_20.JPG

I made my own custom shifter mounting plate using some moderatly thin aluminum. I Just traced the bolt pattern of the 5spd brakect, and cut out, and drilled the bolt holes for this. I then had to drill a large hole in the tunnel for the shifter cable to pass through

TH400_Install_21.JPG

Shifter is in, and interior returned in to place

TH400_Install_22.JPG

A final look at the interior

TH400_Install_23.JPG

Here's the shifter cable routing

TH400_Install_24.JPG

I had to custom make the SS lines for the oil cooler

TH400_Install_25.JPG

I mounted the oil cooler in the passenger side fenderwell of the car

TH400_Install_26.JPG

Here's some pictures of the driveshaft. Its a Z1 1-piece driveshaft for a VG30 application, shortened 1-1/2" I also had to have a 1350 style u-joint installed (Z1 uses a 1310 style) and a 1350 yoke was installed as well. It cost around 100 bucks for the driveshaft shop to do.

TH400_Install_27.JPG

TH400_Install_28.JPG

Heres the driveshaft engagement. It has a few inches of engagement onto the tail shaft.

TH400_Install_30.JPG

I have been driving the car around for a week now, and it absolutley RIPS! The car feels like a totally new animal, and since the car is manually shifted, its just as much fun to drive on the street as the 5spd was. I need to tweak the tune on the car, I think because of the heat, its getting to much fuel (its been adjusted for how cold it has been here lately) so I am getting a little sputter in high rpms because its so rich (10.0 or worse!)

The car is entirely streetable still, even with the 5k stall, the car starts to creep forwards when I let off the brake pedal, and its moving at around 1500rpms.

I am really hoping for some low-mid 10's on pump gas with this setup

Thanks for looking!

How fast does boost come on???

Really not much sooner than the 5spd, maybe a little sooner........considering the stall is at 5k, it doesnt really start to load the motor until that point. I know at WOT shifts im going back down to 6200-6300rpm which is perfect considering on the dyno it appeared my powerband was from 6-8k......

I have seen STOCK Z32 rear suspensions support 1.2-1.3 60ft times at the drag strip........the whole rear end assembly is built incredibly well....i dont see any reason to switch to a ford 9" (assuming you have a Z32, i dont see any info)

awesome combination...turbo/rb26/th400....a match made in heaven

what was required in modifying the RB20 auto bellhousing to fit the TH400

i am really interested as i was tinkinf of buying an adapter kit but your set up looks much neater

awesome combination...turbo/rb26/th400....a match made in heaven

what was required in modifying the RB20 auto bellhousing to fit the TH400

i am really interested as i was tinkinf of buying an adapter kit but your set up looks much neater

Dont forget the nitrous!

You will need an adapter kit. I purchased the RB20 bell housing and sent it to the company developing the kits. They modified the bell housing and shipped it to me, along with the rest of the parts.

Dont forget the nitrous!

You will need an adapter kit. I purchased the RB20 bell housing and sent it to the company developing the kits. They modified the bell housing and shipped it to me, along with the rest of the parts.

i see

who are they and what did it cost?

do they sell off the rack?

do they do one for a C4/10 to RB?

I have RB30 with T400 and 5000 stall and I agree, its great on the street, you'll do much better at the strip I'm sure, did you put a transbrake in it? if so, get some NOS on there :-)

Rob

Rob

I was the guy emailing you about how to configure the nitrous to get the stall up.....we exchanged a few emails last week regarding the 'wet' shot.

To answer your question, Yes, I have a JW aluminum pro-transbrake installed :)

I hope to get to test the nitrous today