HybridZ

Megasquirt and Vista

wigenOut-S30

Z-ya. I support your comments towards the shift into a new OS and how microsoft goes about their ways.

However, the problem you are experiencing has not to do with the complexity of the use of a program you were once accustomed to, it has to do with the use of a program that has changed considerably to make it easier for newer users to use the features you consistently used, all while making it easier to access.

Whether you know where the features are or not is based solely on the fact that you may be accustomed to the "harder" way of doing things, and the newer and easier way is, to you, only newer... and not easier due to relearning.

It's where research comes in. Soon enough you'll be using the feature in it's new method and won't realize how easy something has become.

I work on Macs 8 hours a day, have WinXP and MacOSX on my AMD computer at home, and have Vista on my room mates laptop. To be honest, I like them all, and I hate them all.

Developing websites is much the same.

I'm not sure how far phpBB has come since it's inception, but I remember using the beta version from the get-go, and things have come a long way.

Editing core files is not user friendly at all. Now I'd imagine there is an install script of some sort.

I just wish I worked for these companies sometimes, because I'm sure they people developing don't use them in the same way. What would be awesome for either of these companies to do is rather than allow workspaces per program, the should allow workspaces per user, and allow the OS to shape shift into the required functions of a given profession, all while allowing program exceptions to circumvent combatting issues with the chosen workspace.

To me, the user control panel currently does not do this as well as I think it should.

And Tony D, I've been rockin the ebay boards too but canada has slim pickin's lately :(

I agree with what you are saying.

Microsoft has more existing customers than new ones, so why waste your customers time, by moving things around?

I'm not a UI developer, but more of a hardware / low level Linux driver type.

It is all what you are used to. I just hate wasting time learning a new UI when the old one works fine. The new Office 2007 UI is not better than the 2003 one, it is just different. These are all tools, and we all have jobs to do. Just let us do it as efficiently as possible.

Let's remember the most important computer users though, the next generation. We're not seeing increasing amounts of seniors using computers compared to the growing rate of teens and preteens using computers.

So where is microsoft going to focus. Apple has had huge market gains in the last 5-8 years and they're social status is growing in popularity. They've always been an IN crowd type of thing, and that fact is growing every day.

I personally use vista almost every day and have no quarrels with it. Sure it takes a few moments to get reaquainted with everything, but the flow of the OS actually feels much better to me and it seems as though microsoft has been learning something about ergonomics.

Also, if you do your homework, you'll find that the backbone structure of Vista is MUCH MUCH MUCH better in the long run. 5 years from now the best hardware on the market would be extremely limited in XP, where as vista will be fluid and able to handle the speeds seen by modern hardware.

With a fast enough hard drive vista is able to boot much faster than XP with similarly installed programs. Vista chugs on old machines because data paths are so small, and you're moving so much data. On current BUDGET compters this isn't a problem. By the time SSD drives make a wide spread domination (which is only a few years out) people will STILL be using a vista based microsoft OS because the new OS is so modular and effient.

Plus, let's not forget that even Apple's pretty OS's are always DOG SLOW when they first come out. Once they come out with a few patches that fixes some things. I remember when OS 10 came out, and on a G4 cube internet explorer would take about 10 bounces on the dock to open. After the first big update that was down to 3 bounces. Speed doesn't always come from how simple or ugly a OS is. It comes from optimization.

In another 3-4 years we'll all be unwilling to give up Vista for the next OS. I find this cycle pretty humorous.

I do feel bad though for the less computer literate, as it's like relearning how to walk every time which has GOT to be frustrating.

try the next 2...

Windows 7 will be released in 2010.

Yea, but new operating systems from microsoft usually take at least 6-12 months to make a big splash anyways. Nobody will be considering changing right off the bat for the most part. People won't be talking about switching till late 2010, or 2011 I'm betting.

I know that for myself I don't like to change OS until the first service pack is out. And general public doesn't like to change until it dominates what's seen in stores, which takes time.

Frankly I see Microsoft's push to release a new OS this soon after releasing Vista a big clue that they were met with a great deal of opposition towards the new OS. It's a basic bells and whistles update to XP just like ME was to 98. Granted they might have cleaned up some of the core libraries and bits of the kernel, but it's still a glamorized XP.

Personally I'll never switch to Vista so long as I have a choice from PC manufacturers. My preferred OS is and always will be Linux, specifically Gentoo for it's development tools and flexibility. In a world where everything is becoming more expensive by the day, a free OS that's fully featured and customizable is the best thing there is. If Microsoft hadn't cornered the friendly OS market and made sure everyone made their drivers through iron clad contracts and licensing fees Linux would probably be on top of the computer industry. It's free, it's fast, it can be modular or seamless, it's functional, it's adaptive, it's clean, and the support communities out there for it are massive and informative. What more do you need?

I use Windows for very little beyond web surfing at work. It's a great OS if you don't want to do anything productive, aside from spend lots of money of course.

Where have you heard this? Vista is all new from the ground up, all new kernel design. It doesn't even interfase with hardware in the same methods. I've read numberous in depth articles on vista, and not a trace of XP was left. It's much more about just "looks" and making XP look pretty. I don't know much about the next microsoft OS on the way, but I'd be willing to bet it'll run on the base architecture of vista, as it's already proven it's a good performer.

But I agree about linux. Linux is the future in all honesty, and I've been saying that for a long time. Sadly the first OS we'll see to kill windows will probably be made by google.

All Microshaft has to do to say it's an all new kernel design is update a portion of the kernel. They can't stray too far from the NT designed kernel or they would risk breaking older programs, even their own programs. I've used Vista, I was part of the Beta Development team (just like many others) and I can assure you the differences under the hood are minor. The Vista kernel still contains the old XP style boot up splash screens.

As for Linux being the future, yes it will be eventually. Unfortunately it's starting at the embedded OS side of the house and slowly moving over into UMPC and sub-notebooks. The day of the desktop linux offered by vendors like Dell and Lenovo is still very far off. Microshaft is ensuring that with their licensing agreements and contracts with PC manufacturers.

• 2 weeks later...