HybridZ

Megasquirt and Vista

wigenOut-S30

Does anyone know or have any experience with vista and megasquirt. I really dont want to load it on my laptop but Im kinda getting the push from my boss. He wants us all to learn it.. I would much rather wait till windows 7. So before I do this just wanted to see if anyone else is.

• Administrators
Does anyone know or have any experience with vista and megasquirt. I really dont want to load it on my laptop but Im kinda getting the push from my boss. He wants us all to learn it.. I would much rather wait till windows 7. So before I do this just wanted to see if anyone else is.

If that is the company/bosses laptop, you probably should install Vista and learn it.

If it is your personal laptop, you are not obligated to install anything you don’t want on it. Your Laptop, not theirs.

If your work requires you to know Vista, either take a course and ask your supervisor/HR if the company will help compensate you or help offset your tuition to some degree, reminding them that your continuing education is an investment for them, if it is imperative, maybe they could help with the acquisition of a desktop/laptop that has Vista.

If that is the company/bosses laptop, you probably should install Vista and learn it.

If it is your personal laptop, you are not obligated to install anything you don’t want on it. Your Laptop, not theirs.

If your work requires you to know Vista, either take a course and ask your supervisor/HR if the company will help compensate you or help offset your tuition to some degree, reminding them that your continuing education is an investment for them, if it is imperative, maybe they could help with the acquisition of a desktop/laptop that has Vista.

I guess I read what was wanting to be learned wrong. :redface:

I don't know of anyone that actually likes Vista, but with nothing but Lenovo offering XP on new machines, then we will all have to switch over to the newest or least worst OS soon enough. :lol:

I guess I read what was wanting to be learned wrong. :redface:

I don't know of anyone that actually likes Vista, but with nothing but Lenovo offering XP on new machines, then we will all have to switch over to the newest or least worst OS soon enough. :lol:

Run "Microsoft Virtual PC" under Vista, and run XP as a VM

Nigel

OOPs.. sorry guys.. I must have been tired when I posted that lol.. Yeah boss wants us to load Vista.. not Megatune.. heh.. and no.. We do not support vista for any of our web apps or anything really.. so I would rather wait till they come out with the newest installment.. From what I hear and have been reading.. Vista= microsoft ME.. yall remember that little OS?? MS is trying to pretend it never happend.. So my question was.. Does MegaTUNE play well with Vista.. So it will eh?? at least it will work I guess..

Info on MS 7

"Windows 7 (formerly known as Blackcomb and Vienna) is the working name for the next major version of Microsoft Windows as the successor to Windows Vista.[2] Microsoft has announced that it is "scoping Windows 7 development to a three-year timeframe", and that "the specific release date will ultimately be determined by meeting the quality bar."[3] Windows 7 is expected to be released sometime in 2010.[4] The client versions of Windows 7 will ship in both 32-bit and 64-bit versions.[3] A server variant, codenamed Windows Server 7, is also under development.

Microsoft is maintaining a policy of silence concerning discussion of plans and aspirations for Windows 7 as they focus on the release and marketing of Windows Vista,[5] though some early details of various core operating system features have emerged. As a result, little is known about the feature set, though public presentations from company officials have disseminated information about some features. Leaked information from people to whom Milestone 1 (M1) of Windows 7 was shipped also provides some insight into the feature set."

And one more link

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/other/display/20080404093016_Microsoft_Windows_7_Due_Next_Year_Says_Microsoft_Chairman.html

Vista is appropriately named because that's about all it is; a pretty view. You know I think you could pick up your own laptop for $50 or less that is capable of running Megasquirt. I have an old beater Dell laptop that lives in my toolbox. It is dedicated to Z tuning and it has a wireless card PCMCIA for access to the net and a serial port. It's so nice running a simple old laptop with nothing on it. It seems faster than the new ones with all their bells and whistles even though it's only a 400mhz CPU. I run XP on it. I think Vista is too "heavy" for an old laptop but Megatune should be fine with it.

i agree with cygnus...vista is so glitchy that the company i work for decided to stay with xp (made IT happy) but if you have to upgrade get yourself a cheap laptop with a good battery and a serial port...my laptop doesnt have a serial port and the docking station only works plugged in :-(

I found my solution.. heh.. I am going to run Virtual machine on my XP laptop!!! I will run Vista under a virtual machine.. there for.." have vista" but still have a stable OS. heh.. well at least kinda stable OS.. LOL.. Still not a bad idea to get a old laptop just for tuning

I found my solution.. heh.. I am going to run Virtual machine on my XP laptop!!! I will run Vista under a virtual machine.. there for.." have vista" but still have a stable OS. heh.. well at least kinda stable OS.. LOL.. Still not a bad idea to get a old laptop just for tuning

Vista is not hard to use, performs faily well (not quite as god as XP), and will run Megatune fine. So why screw with some virtual machine software that is probably more work than it is worth. I know the ones that run on x86 based Macs are flaky. The tought 100% compatibility, that its until you try and use it.

Cygnusx1 is dead on. Just about any laptop will run Megatune. Even though I have an Intel Centrino based XP laptop, I don't use it for tuning. I have this old HP Omnibook 900 (PII 333MHz), that is nice and portable. I run Windows 98 on it, which is very fast on one of these. And it has a REAL RS-232 port (don't have to use on of those USB converters). I'm on my second one. The first one I got for free (broke the screen during a dyno session), the one I have now I got for $29 on Ebay.

This is kind of off topic and I have mentioned it before but I run Hamachi (free VPN) on all my PC's. I can simply do remote desktop through Windows/Hamachi and actually tune my Z over the internet...if I had to. :mrgreen:

It's cool to be able to tune Megatune on the laptop in my garage from my office at work on my lunch break.

This is kind of off topic and I have mentioned it before but I run Hamachi (free VPN) on all my PC's. I can simply do remote desktop through Windows/Hamachi and actually tune my Z over the internet...if I had to. :mrgreen:

It's cool to be able to tune Megatune on the laptop in my garage from my office at work on my lunch break.

So who turns your car on and off, when you need to reboot megasquirt, whilst sitting at work tuning it ? :mrgreen:

So why screw with some virtual machine software that is probably more work than it is worth. I know the ones that run on x86 based Macs are flaky.

I will disagree with you on this, I run VM's at work and I have had no real issues, as for running it under a Mac, I suppose that is the problem :)

Nigel

Good to hear.

I have a new laptop with Vista and I have been afraid to load megatune on it. I'll have to give it a try.

PS no issues so far with my Vista machine. I use it for editing video (adobe premier elements), editing music (sony sound forge), normal computer stuff (email, surfing the web, movies, music, pictures)

I do have MS Office 2007. Don't like it so far.

Ok now that that is answered, everybody back to tuning!

if you guys are so scared of running vista and megatune, why not run the programs in compatibility mode? there's a tab where you can change this if you right click your shortcut and go to properties.

this will ensure it's running with an emulation layer or some sort that will run XP / NT 5/ 2000 specific commands and have them understood and relayed back in most cases without a problem.

it will run a touch slower but I don't see what the big issue is.

I hound E-Bay for old Dells. You can get 1.8ghz laptops with a full XP setup and MS Office Suite for under $200 any day of the week.

I lost my job a month ago, and luckily I had an old laptop to 'go mobile' while job hunting. It's reasonably fast on the aps, allows me to seamlessly move from my company laptop and not miss a beat.

New comany laptop is faster with a core2 duo, but nothing spectacularly better than my circa 2004 Dell Inspiron 2650. And for that matter, my Circa 2000 Vaio 1.6 with an AMD processor!

I firmly believe in "obsolete technology"---IT'S STABLE AND CHEAP!

So you have $200 into a laptop you only use in the garage. When you're drunk one night and dump your beer on the keypad, or knock it off the workbench or fender....it's a lot less stressful than having to explain to your BOSS why the company laptop smells like a brewery...or has Silver Metallic Spray Pattern Checks on the back of it.

Now, the other Boss may whine about $200 for another replacement, but eventually the carnage builds up to a sufficient level that you can make another one out of the dead bits and give it to the kid...I know I did! LOL

(BTW, all service documentation and restore stuff for the Dells is usually available on E-Bay from Ex-USA sources, it's how I wiped/recovered a locked HD from corporate dumpster...free is free!)

One other thing that irks me:

"Learning" and OS....

Microsoft makes the stuff so damn complex and counter-intuitive that you actually HAVE to "LEARN" how to use it. Does anybody else feel that is wrong? Amiga and Mac used intiuitive OS interfaces that seem much more friendly that you spend less time 'learning' and more time 'doing'...

I had to unlearn logic when I started using Microsoft products!

One other thing that irks me:

"Learning" and OS....

Microsoft makes the stuff so damn complex and counter-intuitive that you actually HAVE to "LEARN" how to use it. Does anybody else feel that is wrong? Amiga and Mac used intiuitive OS interfaces that seem much more friendly that you spend less time 'learning' and more time 'doing'...

I had to unlearn logic when I started using Microsoft products!

I couldn't agree more. Microsoft likes to change things, just for sake of changing them. Vista. What does Vista offer that XP can't do? Why did they move common functions around in Vista as compared to XP? Job security? Let's keep the technical marketing department busy? A new challenge for the engineering group?

What about Office 2007? Anyone try to use that yet? Yes, there are a few cool new features, but I am constantly trying to figure out how to do something that was second nature to me in Office 2003. Plus, the file format is different, so you alway have to "save as" an Office 2003 document. Another difference you have to remember.

How about trying to make it easier for your customer to use your product (what a concept!)!

Sorry for the vent, but have developed and support products on Unix/Linux for 20+ years, so I am biased.