HybridZ

Computer parts upgrade

datsun40146

Hi guys it is time for me to upgrade my OLD and SLOW compaq. Here are the exact specs on the computer.

This is what I plan to but from new-egg.com

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150247

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139004

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231047

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103037

I wanted to make sure all these parts would work with my PC before i pulled the triggers and spent 300 bucks. Let me know guys.

Product number

ED865AA

Introduction date

18-Aug-2005

Country/region sold in

• United States
  • Canada

Hardware

Base processor

Sempron 3200+ 1.8 GHz:

• 1600 MT/s (Mega Transfers/second)
  • Socket 939

Chipset

ATI Radeon XPress 200

Motherboard

• Manufacturer: MSI
  • Motherboard Name: MS-7184
  • HP/Compaq motherboard name: AmethystM-GL6E

Memory

Component Attributes Memory Installed256 MB (1 x 256)Maximum allowed4 GB* (4 x 1 GB) requires the replacement of the installed 256 MB DIMM

*Actual available memory may be lessSpeed supportedPC3200 MB/secType184 pin, DDR SDRAMDIMM slotsFourOpen DIMM slotsThree

Hard drive

• 80 GB
  • 7200 rpm

CD-RW/DVD combo drive

48X/32X/48X/16X

Type Attributes CD write48XCD rewrite32XCD read48XDVD read16X

Modem

PCI K56flex data/fax modem

Video graphics

Integrated graphics

Sound/audio

• Controller: AC97 audio

Network (LAN)

Integrated 10/100 Base-T networking interface

Memory card reader

• USB interface
  • Supports the following cards:
    • Compact Flash I
    • Compact Flash II
    • SmartMedia
    • Memory Stick
    • Memory Stick Pro
    • MultiMediaCard
    • Secure Digital (SD)
    • Micro Drive
    • XD Picture Card (xD = extreme digital)

External I/O ports

I/O ports on the front panel

Port type Quantity 9-in-1 (4 slot) + 1 USBOneIEEE 1394One USB (2.0)TwoHeadphoneOne Line-inOne MicrophoneOne

I/O ports on the back panel

Port type Quantity PS/2 (keyboard, mouse)Two (one each)VGA (monitor)One ParallelOne USB (2.0)FourIEEE 1394OneLANOne AudioOne each (line-in, line-out, microphone)

Expansion slots

Slot type Quantity PCIThree (two available) PCI ExpressOne (available)DIMMFour (three available)

Drive bays

Bay type Quantity 5.25-inch, externalTwo (one available)3.5-inch, externalTwo (one available)3.5-inch, internalOne (occupied)

Keyboard and mouse

• Compaq PS/2 keyboard
  • Compaq PS/2 scroller mouse

Software

NOTE: HP provides basic support for software that comes with the computer. For in-depth feature assistance, refer to the help section in the software or on the software vendor's Web site.

Key to software:

• cd/dvd = media included in box
  • fc = only available in French Canada
  • nfc = not available in French Canada

At first glance, your list looks good, but it appears that your motherboard uses DDR ram with 184 pins... and you are buying DDR2 ram, with 240 pins. You should confirm that before going any further.

I also would look into the exact dimensions of your current power supply, and compare them to the new one. Some OEM computers have non-standard dimensions and mounting, which is a nasty little ploy to insure you buy new hardware from them, at their pricing.

Good luck!

Yeah there's some flaws with your parts.

I would suggest upgrading to an AM2 motherboard and cpu, with DDR2 memory, and a PCI-E video card wtih a good PSU I've never messed with corsair PSU's but I would go with something like an Aspire PSU with at least 600watt's

anyways I can already tell you. the video card will not work, the ram will not work, the cpu and psu MIGHT work, depending on how proprietary your computer is to begin with. Honestly I would just build a new system from the ground up. use the parts like your ahrd drives and cd drives, and upgrade everything else

if it's any help to ya, here's my 1000 dollar dream rig i want to build sometime in the future.

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=8358788

by the time i have all the money, it'll be much cheaper (when I first put this system together, it cost about 1200+)

Yes, build from the ground up. Sell your old machine or give it to someone less fortunate. The last thing you need is a headache from incompatible parts and a bunch of new parts that need to be returned. As a matter of fact, these days, I recommend going to BestBuy or CC and buying a "cheapo" built system and uninstall all there bells and whistles, or just wipe the system and put in a bare OS. You can get a nice pre-built system for around $400 or $500 with a crappy video card in it. Make sure it's got PCI-E video card interface and capability for lots of RAM and at least a 500watt power system.

Then go to newegg and get the best video card you can afford and if you have to, add some RAM. Then you are done, and you have support/warranty for the PC should you need it.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8398735&type=product&id=1179877268129

All you need for this system is a good video card (maybe a power supply) and it will rock you on the cheap. I bought an e-machine for my parents and it was a great machine. Simple, effective and reliable.

$375+$85 for your video card from Newegg....great system for a great price.

BTW nice avatar :wink:

I don't have that kind of cash right now, I'm just looking to upgrade enough to get me by for another year or two. I posted the wrong RAM link BTW

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231047

I will be buying the psu, the new ram, and the processor with-in the hour. I need need a recomendation on the video card. I know the 2.4 processor I'm putting in isn't the newest or the best but its 40 bucks and socket 939 is hard to find parts for anymore. I know to be the most bang for the buck I should upgrade the motehr borad and start from scratch but hey the name of the game here is CHEAP. All of these parts shipped to my door shouldn't be over 400.00 and should net a reasonably quick machine. I have 3 questions.

1. recomend a video card 100 budget. I have one PCI express lot and 3 total PCI slots, 2 open.

2. when I install the new cpu I won't lose my windows or anything right? at most i'll have to update my bios and change some settings in it right? I want to make sure that I am not going to lose anything during this upgrade.

3. Are we sure that the psu I picked out will work?

Not a bad card for the money.

Like others have said, go for the AM2 processor base (you'll need a motherboard with that socket), and DDR2.

The old DDR and 939 socket are only still around for those last few waves of purchases before the standards are dead. AGP is also well on it's way out.

I recently built a new system for my mom's work and spent under $200. That includes Case, Motherboard, CPU, RAM, and PSU. Only thing reused was the hard drive, and CD-ROM.

Specs?

AM2 AMD 4600+ Dual Core 2.4x GHtz

2GB of DDR2 800 CAS Latency 5

Onboard Video

Onboard Audio

Onboard Lan

etc.

Hard drive is a 80GB IDE.

But here's the catch. Because it's DDR2 she'll be able to upgrade the ram for another 4 years or so until DDR3 starts to completely overshadow DDR2. The AM2 socket should be around for at least 3 years. And the motherboard has PCI-E so if she ever needs a graphics card there will be plenty of options. The motherboard also has SATA 3.0gB/s of course, so hard drive and CD-ROM options will exist probably for 6+ years.

I could build that same system needing to recylce zero parts WITH a decent graphics card for under $350, and it'll blow up most of the store bought $500 and under group. With how much part prices have come down, there's almost no point in buying the generic garbage they sell at stores IMO.

And if you're gaming by the way.... the system I just built would be plenty for most games, but of course it'd need a decent graphics card. Right now, most RAM speeds and CPU speeds are MORE that up to the task of taking on the most intense games. Most framerate drops will be comming from the graphics card. Realistically, a "budget" gaming system will blow half of it's budget on a graphics card(s). Keep this in mind when buying a graphics card. If you play a lot of games and need something that can really chug out the frames then saving up for a better card might be wise.

Tomshardware.com has an extensive graphics card benchmark database that can be very useful for finding the best card in your price range. They even do an article on finding the best card in a price range every month.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/graphics-cards,1942.html

And I'll give my blessing to newegg. I've been buying all my parts there for probably about 4-5 years now and they've never let me down. Maybe not the lowest prices around, but competetive enough and their service makes it worth it.

I decided that if I was going to spend 350 for a par to sub-par system that would be REALLY outdated in another year, that I should just spend 600 and buy a quality new system. This is what I bought. I am good buds with the guy who built it so I got it at cost.

http://pcdocofwestpoint.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=54&category_id=9&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=26

Let me know what you think, I haven't decided on what case color I want yet.

That page doesn't contain much specs beyond the motherboard.

Things that matter that it doesn't mention:

Hard drive

CPU Specs

RAM Quantity & Speed

DVD-Burner?

Graphics card? (it shows onboard specs only)

Without that information it just looks like an overpriceds barebones kit...

250gb Barracuda 7200rpm w/ 32 megs RAM

Memory – corsair 2 Gb pc 8500 @ 1066 megahertz speed (high end)

DVD burned/ and CD r-w

Ge-force 8200 hybrid SLI Hybrid chip up to 512 Mb ram voltage steppin up to 600watts (high end)

Mid-range-gaming rig

HOT DEAL!!!! GREAT HOME SYSTEM AND A TERRIFIC BUSINESS WORKSTATION AS WELL!THIS SYSTEM IS LOADED! 2 gigs corsair Dominator 1066mghz RAM 160gigs storage! The AMD Phenom CPU makes this machine COOK!!!

that shows in the products description, but not in the detail.

honestly, I'd still build my own. it's an 800 dollar system. the computer I have on that wishlist is 1000 dollar, has 650gb of storage, 2 gigs of ram, a REALLY nice cpu and a wicked heatsink, a nice case, and a pretty good video card. you can always tweak it from what I posted to fit your needs, but if you plan to drop that kind of money, build a custom PC from newegg parts.

Yea, I'd still build my own. You could easily still build that system for around the same price, if not slightly less and you can:

A: Have a case that looks how you want

B: Have the satisfaction of building it yourself and know how to upgrade parts when the time comes.

It is pretty cool looking. Good luck and run a good antivirus program.

FYI: I like to use Avira free and AVG free. Both of them are free (duh) and work great. You get an occasional nag to buy the full version but they work fine as freeware. Kudos to them for making a great free product that updates regularly. I also recommend running Spybot SD. All three combined will keep you running clean for years.

This guy is builing it from scratch for me, no labor charge, no virus. He is also taking my current harddrive and swapping over all my programs for free, I just have to ship him my harddrive. He's hard coding in a dedicated 512 mb of my ram to the video card so that it wont have to ask for it, as it is a hybrid card. He's also going to overclock the computer for me so it will still be covered by his 2 year everything waunetee.

Here's what I got from Fry's a month ago on sale:

Intel quad core 6600 (2.4ghz, 8 megs combined cache)

ECS E31-T motherboard (yeah, cheap, but works fine, 3gbps sata xfer rate)

2x2gb corsair pc6400 ram

evga geforce 8600gt w/ 1gb of ram pci-e video card.

total cost? $380 before rebates, 300 after