HybridZ

RB26 in WA Z, that makes 2!

Mike Rowe

After a long wait due to cracked blocks and other issues (see my website for details) the motor & gearbox are now in. That now makes 2 that I know of in Western Australia (other Quoc Nguyen)

Still a long way to go but at least I can now start fitting everything around it. The engine has been fully rebuilt, balanced, forgies, new turbos etc, modified oil pickup and sump.

I have everything else eg accumulator tank, larger intercooler, ali radiator, Apexi D-Jetro etc, so now is the enjoyable job of fitting everything and fabricating pipes etc.

I have taken the original oil cooler/heater off so the oil filter now screws straight on to a small adaptor for a remote cooler.

A few pics for interest below. I will put the full story on my website as I go.

regards

Engine rad bulkhd clear_thumb.jpg

Eng in 3_thumb.jpg

Eng in 4_thumb.jpg

Gearbox lever position_thumb.jpg

Sump fab & clearance_thumb.jpg

Oil return fitting_thumb.jpg

Oil filter adaption_thumb.jpg

Standard CRS Cradle_thumb.jpg

Nice work Mike, I'm glad to see things are progressing well with the motor. You know you are going to have to return the favour and give me a ride in your car when it's running... :lol:

Cheers

Stephen

XRB-025

My absolute pleasure Stephen!!

regards

Hi Mike,

That's an impressive looking setup!

Just a question regarding the gearbox crossmember you have used - is that the one from the Castlemaine Rod Shop? Were there any modifications required to make it work with the RB gearbox?

I've used the CRS engine mounts for my RB25 240z, and I would be interested in using the gearbox mount as well.

Thanks,

Craig

Hi Craig thanks. Check out my website there is a lot of info on there.

Yes the gearbox crossmember is from CRS. No mods required, just need to weld the side pieces on (which allows you to make sure there is an exact fit to your chassis rails). Gearbox mount is Holden 6 cylinder

regards Mike

Hi WAZTTED. No not in a workshop, doing myself as much as I can at home, and getting help from mates with welding of the oil pickup etc. Had the block machined etc, head done, but built up the long motor with a mate, and am now working through fitting out the driveline and working out the next lot of fabrications for the intercooler pipework etc.

The bulk of my time up til now has been spent on preparation, ie research (Hybrid Z main source), sourcing all the parts, checking out RB stuff etc. At the same time I have also rebuilt my 240Z as an historic race car so that took a lot of the focus off the RBZ, however will focus on that now in between travelling a way a lot overseas this year.

Would be great to catch up with you and check out what you are doing.

Can you send me your contact details to mike@bluevista.net.au?

regards

hey dude,

its very impressive your doing all of the work yourself. i have a real soft spot for the 240z's there mean as... the s30s are even sexier but cost a mint. as there Beyond rare.

im working on my z32 at the moment and she should be running very soon.

if u want 2 talk Zeds , car tech or anything else in general u can contact me via email. or msn .

srimes101@hotmail.com

regards,

Simon

• 5 months later...