HybridZ

Progress on Idle Air Control - 75% of the way there

ktm

Ron comes up with the suggestions and I implement them. :) He suggested I look into using a Ford IAC as they are PWM controlled. I hit the JY today and pulled a few IAC valves from the Duratec V6 found in the newer Ford Taurus. You want the Duratec V6 valves as the bores are 5/8-in. The 4-cylinder bores at 1/2-in. (I pulled one for measurement sakes).

I connected the IAC valve up to Wolf and successfully got it working. It idled perfectly at 1200 rpm immediately upon startup. The issue I am fighting at the moment is getting it to drop back down once it is warmed up. I am sure I am missing some settings someplace, but I am about 75% of the way there.

I'll post another write-up when I get it working 100%.

• Administrators

Bo,

That should be the "Engine temp centre" settings. This past couple weeks I've been playing with PWM idle with the VG30DE. When I get home tonight I'll post a screen shot of my settings in hopes it will give you some idea on a starting point and slope.

Paul,

Thank you! I figured it was either Engine Temp Centre settings or Tracking. No matter what changes I made to the settings, the PWM solenoid kept on trucking and the engine would not change its idle RPM.

Paul,

Second question: I have a 240sx throttle body with an idle set screw. Should I let the idle solenoid control my idle speed and back out the screw, or should I keep the screw set and just use the solenoid as a cold start feature?

• Administrators

Bo,

In playing with it, I found a couple interesting aspects, one of which I don’t understand.

In setting up your idle speed, as I understand the procedure to go, you are to deactivate idle speed control in the “Activation” sub folder, and then set Initial Centre Engine Temp, (referred to as ICET from here on out), to a setting that delivers the desired engine idle speed when the engine is running, (this is with the idle activation OFF)! This can be tedious, especially if generating the curve from scratch. When you make any adjustment to the ICET, it will NOT take affect until you shut down the ECU and power it back up, just like the other “config” settings. Then the IETC will instantly readjust your idle speed motor to the ICET setting and the display on the dash board, (green IDLE bar) will reflect that setting. What I noticed is that that green bar/idle speed motor will not drop or change to follow my ICET settings as the engine warms up, holding the idle speed control valve PW at the same PW. Shut the motor off, restart, and then the ICET will again reset to the current engine temp, and hold that till the next restart. From this, in my mind, the whole ICET feature doesn’t really make sense as to its true purpose. Our idle speed control valves can only operates in the 0% to 100% open range, Wolf will control it in that entire range, and V-500 gives us control over adjusting idle speed vs engine temp, a fast idle speed upon initial engine startup that is adjustable as for how much, how long, and how fast you want the decay to take place, all in the “Extra Opening” sub folder, so this ICET feature has me at loss. Maybe its just there for engine start, or is the out of range inactive default for the valve? Hmmm…

At any rate, as I fine tune my idle speed parameters, I plan to set it up as suggested and maybe by the time I get the idle fine tuned, it will make more sense.

Idle speed and IETC settings for the Z32 Direct Fit as shipped;

DSC_9157.jpg

DSC_9158.jpg

*** EDIT *** Oops. Corrected my incorrectly spelled acronym.. "Ice T", :lmao:

• Administrators

Bo,

Are you referring to the idle set screw on the throttle shaft, opposite the TPS? If so, use that set screw to set the butterfly blade itself, set it ever so slightly, so it does not contact the throttle bore when the throttle is closed. If the butterfly is allowed to contact the bore, it will wedge itself there, be sticky when coming off idle and in short order, wear a step in the bore over time.

Hope that helps.

Bo,

Are you referring to the idle set screw on the throttle shaft, opposite the TPS? If so, use that set screw to set the butterfly blade itself, set it ever so slightly, so it does not contact the throttle bore when the throttle is closed. If the butterfly is allowed to contact the bore, it will wedge itself there, be sticky when coming off idle and in short order, wear a step in the bore over time.

Hope that helps.

Correct. I am not referring to the TPS but rather the butterfly valve. I was out experimenting some more tonight and I got it to idle fairly steady at 900 rpm. I experienced a little bit of hunting, but I think I may have tuned it out.

Paul,

Following are my settings. I actually got the ICET to respond to my changes dynamically, but it takes a few seconds for it to respond. I would make a change and it may take 10 seconds for it to implement the change. I am still adjusting my settings, but so far so good.

You are correct about setting ICET values as I read that exact same thing. I adjusted everything on the ICET table first before turning on Activation to stop the hunting. When my electric fan kicked on, the RPMs would drop, you could hear the solenoid increase, RPMs would climb over my target RPM and then drift back to the target RPM.

Activation and Tracking are for your warm idle conditions only. I enabled tracking and have the following settings:

Activation

LIBR: 600

LAAR: 610

HABR: 1500

HIAR: 1510

ABTP: 2.1

IATP: 2.5

Tracking

TDRB: 100

TNRB: 200

TNS: 20

TFS: 12

TRS: 0

TSS: 1

ICET_thumb.jpg

Target RPM_thumb.jpg

• Administrators

Bo,

Thanks for the tip on the running parameters for the tracking and activation, and sharing your ICET and Target RPM settings.

BTW, what V-500 firmware and software versions are you running with?

• 7 years later...

First, Thank you KTM and BRAAP for sharing. It has been a big help setting up IAC with Wolf on my car.

Second, I'm not completely happy with the performance as I have it set up. There seems to be a significant lag when the car is first started and when the IAC actually brings the idle up to the target RPM.

Have either of you experienced this lag? How did you fix it?

Thanks,

Ross

Thank all you guys Rossman, KTM & BRAAP. 

I haven't had time to play with my setup for awhile so unfortunately I have nothing to add just that im having startup issues but I have no IAC. Im happy to see that your still playing with Wolf cause i find it hard to find support. 

I hope maybe this summer I find some time....

Good Luck Rossman 

Thank all you guys Rossman, KTM & BRAAP. 

I haven't had time to play with my setup for awhile so unfortunately I have nothing to add just that im having startup issues but I have no IAC. Im happy to see that your still playing with Wolf cause i find it hard to find support. 

I hope maybe this summer I find some time....

Good Luck Rossman 

Thanks!  Post a question and I'll try to help although my knowledge of Wolf and engine control is pretty limited. I'm currently re-wiring/cleaning up my setup and plan to implement the turbo timer and boost control features and add a delayed shut-off security circuit. 

First, Thank you KTM and BRAAP for sharing. It has been a big help setting up IAC with Wolf on my car.

Second, I'm not completely happy with the performance as I have it set up. There seems to be a significant lag when the car is first started and when the IAC actually brings the idle up to the target RPM.

Have either of you experienced this lag? How did you fix it?

Thanks,

Ross

i have an issue where if the engine is cold and start the engine straightaway it acts as if the ICV is not working

the only way ive overcome this is i put the ignition on for a few seconds to "prime" the system (i.e allow the the valve to move to correct position i assume it doesn happen instantly )then turn key to the cranking/starter position and it starts beautifully and functions as per expected. i dont actually know if it is an ICV issue but its a theory of mine. i could just check the valve position but ive never gotten around to it

Edited by digger

• 2 weeks later...

i have an issue where if the engine is cold and start the engine straightaway it acts as if the ICV is not working

the only way ive overcome this is i put the ignition on for a few seconds to "prime" the system (i.e allow the the valve to move to correct position i assume it doesn happen instantly )then turn key to the cranking/starter position and it starts beautifully and functions as per expected. i dont actually know if it is an ICV issue but its a theory of mine. i could just check the valve position but ive never gotten around to it

Thanks, that's good to know.  I usually start mine straightaway so I bet that is the problem.

Since the topic came up I've contemplated on adding a IAC valve, only I am having trouble trying to understand where it goes  :blink:

I'm looking at a 97 Ford Taurus IAC and I just cant picture where it would mount to, or how...

Would you guys mind sharing which IAC valve you have used and/or post some pictures?

I purchased an adapter that was meant for mustang guys to relocate their AIC.  I forget the name of the vendor but you can google "mustang AIC adapter" and a bunch of them will come up.  

Here is the AIC valve I used.
http://forums.hybridz.org/gallery/image/32739-img-20151003-091031/

And the adapter:

http://forums.hybridz.org/gallery/image/32740-img-20151003-091010/

I tapped my manifold for a 1/2" NPT to 5/8" hose barb and ran a short hose over to this adapter then put a filter on the intake end.  I'll try to get a picture of the installed parts when I get a chance.

Edited by rossman