HybridZ

Project 1Jz s30

Gritz

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well since i pretty much got the engine bay complete, i figure i should start on the interior and boy i don't know where to start....lol..... I pulled the dash to find all kinds of hacks, rewire, do dads and a kitchen sink...I bought some pretty sweet gages from harbor freight they change about 7 different colors..cool!! I guess i won't be driving it soon cause i got some major rewiring to do...Im going to take my time like i have been so far and aim for 2 weeks to have my interior done, at least the dash anyway...:)

My fuel cell is a 12 gallon RCI unit with foam...for now it's resting on wood for mock up... i plan to diamond plate the whole rear hatch of the car, i might even throw some diamond plate on the floor panels...or maybe not.. but i think it would be cool in the hatch..very trick!!!

Anyone have any idea where i can put all these gages???!!! lol... i have wide band, oil pressure, temp, fuel, volt, boost and SAFC..i might even do a

EGT gauge... Enjoy the pics!!

Interior1_thumb.JPG

INTERIOR2_thumb.JPG

INTERIOR3_thumb.JPG

INTERIOR4_thumb.JPG

INTERIOR5_thumb.JPG

Got some gages in the dash before days end...looks pretty good for about hour worth of work....I got a killer idea for my dash..im just not sure it can be done...I want to get rid of the center vent but i want to direct the vent to the windshield and feet only...no center vent..am i making any sense???:eek2: The reason i want to do is then i can run a 7" in dash DVD/CD player..along with having room for the rest of my gagaes..So imagine a large 7" display where the center heat/air vent is..wouldn't that be cool!!! Has anyone done something like this with the stock dash?

DASH1_thumb.JPG

7inch display_thumb.jpg

i personally wouldnt use that 7inch moniter in my z. theif magnet. and plus, i wouldnt have time to listen to the cd kos i wanna enjoy the sound of exhaust,turbo,bov...

by the way grits, are you using stock ecu? how did you eliminate maf or did 1jz came with map? dont read too much on 1jz.

that double din must be in the high dollor range? i wouldnt mind having that in my 4runner. hahaha. you should check out the crazy ass japanese ones on ebay. even more crazy, got so many colors, it looks like a party going on in your car.

i kinda figure 1jz was map. i guess the only way to get away with no maf on 2jz is aem?

that double din must be in the high dollor range? i wouldnt mind having that in my 4runner. hahaha. you should check out the crazy ass japanese ones on ebay. even more crazy, got so many colors, it looks like a party going on in your car.

i kinda figure 1jz was map. i guess the only way to get away with no maf on 2jz is aem?[/quote

Well there is a jdm 2jzgte(280hp twin turbo) that is also map...You can pick one of those up for about $1500-$2000 but they all come with auto trans and front sump oil pans..For a s30 swap you need a rear sump oil pan...So by the time you buy a r154 5 speed trans, oil pan, bell housing..etc it's just cheaper going with the 1jzgte depending on your power goals....

By the way the picture of the dvd/cd player is one of those ebay ones..I think the price is about $300 shipped

that double din must be in the high dollor range? i wouldnt mind having that in my 4runner. hahaha. you should check out the crazy ass japanese ones on ebay. even more crazy' date=' got so many colors, it looks like a party going on in your car.

i kinda figure 1jz was map. i guess the only way to get away with no maf on 2jz is aem?[/quote

Well there is a jdm 2jzgte(280hp twin turbo) that is also map...You can pick one of those up for about $1500-$2000 but they all come with auto trans and front sump oil pans..For a s30 swap you need a rear sump oil pan...So by the time you buy a r154 5 speed trans, oil pan, bell housing..etc it's just cheaper going with the 1jzgte depending on your power goals....

By the way the picture of the dvd/cd player is one of those ebay ones..I think the price is about $300 shipped[/quote']

My .02... I grabbed my JDM Aristo 2JZGTE from a guy who bought it from a JDM importer and was going to put it in his Mustang but found out he was only allowed one power adder (ie no nitrous for him) so he changed his mind - not before putting a rear sump pan on it. Cost me $1500 shipped, I believe. Then, I got an R154 for free plus $150 after some trades and such with a likely broken R154 I had gotten for free (the guy who bought the broken one knew it would need a rebuild but he paid more for it than I paid for my good one) :D I still need a flywheel (should cost $100 for the way I'll be doing it) and the R154 bellhousing.

I'd say I've done pretty well for myself on this jobbie-doo.

haha, thats awsome. i havent paid too much attention to the pans but rear sumps came in mks and ??? r154s from 87-92 mk turbos right? and w58 are from? im still reading on this but im making it short and asking you guys. haha. im a noob. ima take a trip to pick n pull anyways this weeend for some other non hybridz related but thought it might be a good question to ask.

• 4 weeks later...

Got something done today...check it out ...it was a pain in the butt to do...I still got some adjustments to do..but you get the idea...oh yeah got my IC pipes done and painted..on the car, pics for that later...

12663_thumb.attach

12664_thumb.attach

• 2 months later...

Update: I just wanted to let everyone know thats following my thread that I'm still very much still on task, but being produce manger at resort area food lion with summer fast approaching is leaving not much time for my project..And any home owner/family man knows that car projects are last on the list....

I am making progress, i pretty much finished my dash modification seems like it's going to be pretty cool with a 7in cd/dvd player in that location..i was watching Jurassic park 3 the other day in the car and everything worked very well..:)

What I'm currently working on is trying the sort out the rest of the in-car wiring and boy is it a nightmare..Wiring is taking the most time because I'm trying to wire everything back like stock..very hard but making progress.

I've decided what i want to do for a wheel and tire comb on the s30 that will save money( i hope). I will be using my 18X8 and 18X9 "ROH drifter R" wheels i had on my 88 starion( Car of which I'm trying to sell) on the s30...So this of course bring to me to fitment. From a quick look it seems like i will need about a 1.5in wheel adapter for the front and a 2in adapter for the back not a 100% sure though...I believe the front wheel is -18 and the rear wheel is -20 I'm not sure on that either....All i know is these are cool wheels (and tires i might add)... that i already have...i paid $1200 for these wheels back in 2004...so I'm going to put them to use if it's posible...

My pile of shame is... i still haven't fab an exhaust yet(down pipe has been done) and i still have brake work to do...Come to find out my master cylinder is frozen, so I'll get another...

Every now and again I'll start the car and let it run but for the last couple of weeks the 1jz has been running like pure crap..the engine will barely idle and won't rev, the engine is missing also...So tinkering; i found that some of my coil packs have hair line cracks so i do the nail polish fix and install some new plugs, problem was still there.. One day i was surfing supramaina.com and found a thread about ECU's with leaky caps so i checked my ECU and sure enough i have 2 leaky caps that looked sorta fresh hence my idle and rev issues...So i plan on sending my euc to driftmotion for repair($70+ship) soon... thats all for now....

hoping to see you on the road soon Gritz. I am also having fun with with the wiring nightmare right now for the body harness that I am using!!

I prolly should have did the same....But i figured since everything was working pretty good i'd just keep the stock harness....when i went under the dash i got a big hack master surprise...lol...no problem i'll get it just takes time...

I'm working on my tach today, and I'm trying to figure out the wiring...From my understanding the tachs in the z's are the old school voltage type, not the point signal type like newer style tachs... The 1jz needs a signal booster so the tach can find the signal which is why i bought sgi-8 Dakota digital...

Question is do i have to buy another tach, or can i use my stock one...I don't plan on reving past 8k anyway...even though the 1jz can do it :)

• 7 months later...

I saw your video on youtube... impressive.

Anyway, I did notice a tend in these swaps and I had a question for you. Ive noticed that people are always saying what a nightmare wiring the body harness into the new ECU, but the PO of my car had cut the wring harness out...leaving me to rewire everything else. Its not EFI, so I only had to deal with the lights, stereo, amp, and all that, but I digress.

I would assume that you are wiring in warning lights and gauges and whatnot. I have an autometer tach, speedo, and water temp gauge, and that's it... these are easy to wire up, so would I even need everything else that goes along with the harness? You know, all the "nightmarish" stuff?