HybridZ

Can 280zxt Auto. ECU be swapped with Manuel? How?

Guest Dan Gleason

Guest Dan Gleason

Can anyone tell me if an 280zxt Auto ECU be used in a 5spd ? Does any one no how to wire the Auto ECU to the 5 Spd. A member had a fried ECU and did this swap. NEHI and Andy Minto know how to do this but I have been unable to contact them. Please, Anyone

You just have to deal with the starter interlock system and the reverse light. Just look up the colors in a wiring diagram and jump the interlock ones together, and connect the reverse switch on the manual trans to the other pair.

They are part of the same harness, near the front of the trans tunnel. Also, if the car is stock, some emissions systems will not work as the ECU will think it's always in park or neutral (so it will start), and thus, the EGR and possibly some other components won't work.

Mario

I'm missing something here, you unplug the ECU and plug the new one in there. There is not any interlock between the ECU and the Transmission, nor many of the emissions components either.

From the way I read this post, the guy wants to swap in an Auto ZXT ECU into a 5 speed ZXT. This is a plug and play operation.

Now if he's changing transmissions then a lot of this other stuff applies. But the way I see it written, it's an ECU swap, to replace a fried ECU.

As long as it's ZXT to ZXT, you're fine. They will not swap ZXT to N/A.

I'm missing something here, you unplug the ECU and plug the new one in there. There is not any interlock between the ECU and the Transmission, nor many of the emissions components either.

From the way I read this post, the guy wants to swap in an Auto ZXT ECU into a 5 speed ZXT. This is a plug and play operation.

Now if he's changing transmissions then a lot of this other stuff applies. But the way I see it written, it's an ECU swap, to replace a fried ECU.

As long as it's ZXT to ZXT, you're fine. They will not swap ZXT to N/A.

if he goes from manual to auto ecu isn't the main problem the slow rpm drop?

Remember that you can not use an 81 turbo ecu on the 82/83 turbo's due to the external injector dropping resistors on the 81. The 82/83 turbo's have the resistors in the ecu.

I ran my original auto ecu on my 81 turbo for a while after swapping to a 5-speed tranny. The only noticeable difference was the rev drop off between shifts, but not a big deal. I also have heard that there is no rev limiter in the auto ecu's.

I ran a 1980 280zx turbo into which I put a 3.9 R200 and that car ran hard right up to a very abrubt wall at the same rpm every time.

Now with stock gearing, it happened at the same point on the speedo but I was going a whole lot faster.

My point is that with the 3.9 gears it was easy to run it into what feels like a limiter.

• 1 month later...