HybridZ

280zx POWER!

130 to 135 is the horsepower ratings of the L28 in the 280ZX, as measured from the wheels, as opposed to the 170 HP measured from the flywheel of the 280Z.

As for power on the cheap, there's really not such a thing on any car. Speed costs money. However, the cost can be brought down depending on how much fabrication you're willing to do.

Before you start making any real mods however, a good investment would be a factory service manual. A haynes manual is good, but it covers a model range. You'll want one specifically for your car. They're available for download from XenonS130, but I personally find a paper manual handy since I don't have a laptop or a computer in my garage.

As already said, a job to fund the car would be preferrable. If you're not into fabbing your own stuff, which takes a lot of time and practice, go-fast mods for the S130 aren't cheap. But depending on how much interior you're willing to part with and what body style it is, you can get some very cheap go fast by removing interior parts, such as a back seat.

The last thing to remember is the S130 isn't a sports car, though Nissan says it is, and many refer to it as such. Nor is it a 'hot hatch' like a civic-SI. It's a malaise-era GT car. So it's meant to carry you long distances at speed, in relative comfort. If you're looking for a drag racer or something you can blast around in on the cheap, the S130 isn't the car for you. Certainly, the S130 can be made to perform admirably, but it isn't cheap to do so.

You could get the intake.. but its not really gonna do anything unless your turbo'd or have another type of forced induction.

I would say try and remove some weight... doesn't cost anything unless you get fiberglass stuff. =P

I ssecond the Factory Manual. Tune up and learn the systems. Small tweaks and tunes to get it running the best with what it already has is by far the best thing you can do. There are several members here make much higher power on 100% stock engines than any bolt on mentioned. Braap, and TonyD come to mind.

You are 17 years old, I recommend getting a job to better fund the car you have, you're going to need it.

yeah.. i have tried looking for a job.. but where I live its hard finding a job, without getting hooked up and all.. most of the teens here were hooked up by an older brother or sister

has anyone mentioned a good tune up yet?

Something I forgot about. Yes, a good tune up will help power as well. The youngest ZX engine will be 25 years old. A good tune up will restore a lot of the pep and vigor to the engine. Nissan built the L28 to be pretty much bulletproof. If the engine was cared for at least minimally by the previous owner, it should be in good shape.

There's a lot on tuning up an L28 on this and other forums. But the basics are pretty simple. New plugs and wires, do a compression check, change the oil, get the radiator flushed, make sure the thermostat is in good shape, and have the cat checked out. The car was made when leaded fuel was still available, so it could have had leaded run in it. People can do some pretty harmful things to cars out of ignorance.

The biggest thing to know about the 280ZX is that you have bought a 'classic car' and all the problems that come with it. An engine, even a good engine, can get pretty tired after 25-30 years, because most people neglect maintenence outside of changing the oil and putting gas in it. And oftentimes, unless the ZX was a daily driver, it's been sitting for several years. That can damage things like the head gasket, which is in contact with stagnant coolant, and things like the fuel system, which has had old gas gum up in it.

Something I forgot about. Yes, a good tune up will help power as well. The youngest ZX engine will be 25 years old. A good tune up will restore a lot of the pep and vigor to the engine. Nissan built the L28 to be pretty much bulletproof. If the engine was cared for at least minimally by the previous owner, it should be in good shape.

There's a lot on tuning up an L28 on this and other forums. But the basics are pretty simple. New plugs and wires, do a compression check, change the oil, get the radiator flushed, make sure the thermostat is in good shape, and have the cat checked out. The car was made when leaded fuel was still available, so it could have had leaded run in it. People can do some pretty harmful things to cars out of ignorance.

The biggest thing to know about the 280ZX is that you have bought a 'classic car' and all the problems that come with it. An engine, even a good engine, can get pretty tired after 25-30 years, because most people neglect maintenence outside of changing the oil and putting gas in it. And oftentimes, unless the ZX was a daily driver, it's been sitting for several years. That can damage things like the head gasket, which is in contact with stagnant coolant, and things like the fuel system, which has had old gas gum up in it.

Its almost like your talking about my car. I have an 83 280zx that had been sitting for 7 years. Amazingly enough all I had to do was put a battery in and it started right up. I did the basic tune-up and it made a big difference. especially the fuel filter which was full of gunk.

I would have to agree and say that the best thing you can do for so little is to do a tune-up.

yeah.. i have tried looking for a job.. but where I live its hard finding a job, without getting hooked up and all.. most of the teens here were hooked up by an older brother or sister

It's hard finding a job in Fresno California??? Someone isn't making an effort. Try getting a job where I live. Wen I was growing up you had to have a car to get a job because there is nothing in walking distance. Then you have to compete with young Marines, dependents and everyone else for a job. Of course fast food is really all there is for teens here so that's where you start, but hey, it's a job.

I agree on getting a tuneup. Any performance part wont do anything if the car isnt running well by itself. For 100 you can go through filters, sparkplugs, fluids, etc.

Then you have to compete with young Marines,

If you cant beat them join them. :)

I agree on getting a tuneup. Any performance part wont do anything if the car isnt running well by itself. For 100 you can go through filters, sparkplugs, fluids, etc.

If you cant beat them join them. :)

If you're 16 and still in High School that is kind of hard.