HybridZ

My 76 280 = spare parts for me no restoring

Well I paid $700 for the car so I couldnt expect to much from the Z, when I pulled the interior I found my horror story.

Floor pans bad ( I knew this already) what I didn't know was what looked like a solid fire wall from the outside told a different story from the inside. The tranny tunnel is done, the inner rockers are done, as well as the frame rails.

The good, the motor is stout no smoking no knock, tranny is good, seats are good condition not torn. The carpet was in good condition not torn.

The only bad parts in the interior were the dash, and one of the rear strut tower coverings was torn.

This car will be stripped and sent off to the junkyard for crushing and now I must try and find a better Z to start with.

In the end its a sad weekend for me, I had some really good ideas for this car and now they must be put on hold till I can get another shell!!

Well I paid $700 for the car so I couldnt expect to much from the Z, when I pulled the interior I found my horror story.

Floor pans bad ( I knew this already) what I didn't know was what looked like a solid fire wall from the outside told a different story from the inside. The tranny tunnel is done, the inner rockers are done, as well as the frame rails.

The good, the motor is stout no smoking no knock, tranny is good, seats are good condition not torn. The carpet was in good condition not torn.

The only bad parts in the interior were the dash, and one of the rear strut tower coverings was torn.

This car will be stripped and sent off to the junkyard for crushing and now I must try and find a better Z to start with.

In the end its a sad weekend for me, I had some really good ideas for this car and now they must be put on hold till I can get another shell!!

Ouch, Can you return the car to whom you bought it from? Is there a Lemon Law in your state? If not at least you'll have a parts car. What color interior? I might be looking for a good center console ;)

Phar

That story sounds familiar. I got my 240z for $800. From the outside, the car was clean. So was the inside. The seats are good, the dash has a single crack, the center console is good, etc. I knew the floors were bad, and knew it needed work. However, it needed much more work than I expected once I started taking it apart. To give you an idea, the only good part of the car is the roof. Everything else is bent, improperly repaired, or rusted.

Good luck.

There are several cars in and around NC that I have seen on craigs list that are pretty cheap. The ones I have seen have some really good interiors and strong motors or no motors, however the east coast seems to have eaten the bodies with a knife and fork!!

• 4 weeks later...

I am currently in the middle of a resurection myself, and the car looked solid, and it drives and shifts fine, starts right up. Of course the floors have some rust, as do the fender arches and some starting on the frame rails up front. But,the car itself is straight, and it does not appear to have gotten any front end or rear end 'kisses'. I have a mig welder and am going to go over this car with a finetooth comb, and perhaps reinforce places that are the least bit suspicious.

I have seen so many of these cars that were beyond hope, and there is always the 'dreamer' who thinks that Bondo is a miracle product, and all you have to do is hide the nasty stuff. If you find one that is a Fred Flintstone Special, keep walking unless you need drivetrain spares. A couple of small holes in the floors is not bad, but look at frame rails and strut towers as these are hard, and expensive to repair.

I am currently in the middle of a resurection myself, and the car looked solid, and it drives and shifts fine, starts right up. Of course the floors have some rust, as do the fender arches and some starting on the frame rails up front. But,the car itself is straight, and it does not appear to have gotten any front end or rear end 'kisses'. I have a mig welder and am going to go over this car with a finetooth comb, and perhaps reinforce places that are the least bit suspicious.

I have seen so many of these cars that were beyond hope, and there is always the 'dreamer' who thinks that Bondo is a miracle product, and all you have to do is hide the nasty stuff. If you find one that is a Fred Flintstone Special, keep walking unless you need drivetrain spares. A couple of small holes in the floors is not bad, but look at frame rails and strut towers as these are hard, and expensive to repair.

Yea I know and everytime I go look at one I am disappointed, and I really hate to say that alot of folks in NC are some LAZY and SHADY!!!