HybridZ

blinking light on ECU

S130Z

so i was driving to columbia, SC from y house 2 hours away last knight and i noticed a blinking light down by my foot. i got out of my car at a weight station and checked it out. it was a green light that blinks constantly 2x a sec. when moving and it stays steady on when at idle. i have my cold start valve unplugged and i dont know if this is causing this light to blink. my car wont run with the cold start plugged in anyways. does anyone know what this light is?

Yeah, the ECU's do have this same thing. I forget if it operates as you said, but the procedure for telling if your O2 sensor is good or not is by checking that light. While revving or holding the RPMs up the light is supposed to blink on and off which would indicate an O2 properly cycling back and forth. When I messed up my O2 sensor from it getting banged around in the turbo's downpipe when I removed my manifolds, I checked that light and it was just constantly lit up. The car also ran noticeably more sluggish.

• 2 weeks later...

so as i was driving last night i noticed that the blinking light isnt just blinking all the time, my observations concluded that (unlike in the 1st post) at a dead stop the light flickers sporadicly, in neutral when the car is moving the light turns off, in gear at steady rpm and on the throttle the light blinks consistantly, and if i barely have my foot on the gas the light will stay solid. i am still doing reaserch from other sites and i am gonna call the nissan dealership and ask some questions, i lost my owners repair manuel so i cant check and see if the answer is in there.

on my 87 subaru EA82 (1.8OHC, hitachi built EFI) the ECU has a green LED that comes on whenever the O2 sensor reads "rich" and cuts off at stoich or lean.

Does the Z have the same thing???

Yeah, the ECU's do have this same thing. I forget if it operates as you said, .....

so as i was driving last night i noticed that the blinking light isnt just blinking all the time, my observations concluded that (unlike in the 1st post) at a dead stop the light flickers sporadicly, in neutral when the car is moving the light turns off, in gear at steady rpm and on the throttle the light blinks consistantly, and if i barely have my foot on the gas the light will stay solid. i am still doing reaserch from other sites and i am gonna call the nissan dealership and ask some questions, i lost my owners repair manuel so i cant check and see if the answer is in there.

Yep. I bet it stays on constant anytime you have your foot on the pedal whatsoever.. on passive cruise it would go back and forth across the stoich threshold, and at idle you are doing the same thing, and neutral cruise still spins the clutch a tiny bit so the engine is being imparted a bit of energy from the slowing car, so it would naturally go lean.

Remember, this is just a narrowband O2 sensor.. it is slow reaction time (about a second or more) and it is not very good at what it does; it pretty much tells the computer "RICH" or "LEAN" in a simian manner. They fucntion through a range of 1 volt, and ~.5 volts is stoich, lower is rich, higher is lean. It works about as well as your ear, but it outputs a signal that electronic processors can comprehend.

Thats cool to know, I wonder if the earlier model ECUs have this.