HybridZ

Tokico strut install....issue?

Yes, I've tried the search.

I didn't find an answer to my question, I also didn't see any mention of it.

Car: 1973 240Z

Struts: Tokico Blues, I'll get the model number if need be.

I dissassmbled my stock front struts, it looked like the gland nut was crossthreaded, but the threads appear fine, so I think it may have just been dirt build up.

Anyway.

I started to install my strut insert and once I hand tightend the gland nut, I found there was quite a bit of space for the strut insert to move up and down in the tube. looked at the old strut insert, and a found a washer on the top, great thought that would take up the slack. Nope, there's still some space.

I compared the body of each strut insert and found the Tokico strut insert to be shorter.

Original strut insert fits and does not have any slack to move up and down with the gland nut hand tightened.

For anyone that has come accross this, have you just added another washer and call it good?

Ideas?

I haven't made it to the rear yet, I want to take care of one problem before opening a can of another. :lol:

I really need to install these since it seems the old ones are trash.

http://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/suspension/tokicoupgrade/tokicoinstallfront.htm

Did you put the oil in and everything? The link above is an Illumina install, but the installation procedure is the same.

Thanks for the link.

From what I have read, the 240/early 260 strut does not need the oil, it appears to be a late 260/280 deal.

Besides oil wouldn't take up this slack.

Yep I was thinking the same, some sort of spacer under the strut insert.

I'm not sure what is causing it, but they ALL need oil. It helps the heat transfer out of the strut.

It also prevents the insert from rusting in place, which is worth it in itself.

Mario

USE THE OIL!!!!!!

I just changed to Illuminas on my 73 and the front tubes were rusted in so badly that I had to make a puller to get them out. The drivers side was so bad that I ripped the threads off of the end of the shock, then pulled the shaft and piston out of the shock tube. I finally had to tig weld a steel plug in the old tube to pull with.

Derek

I finally had to tig weld a steel plug in the old tube to pull with.

In the future, just drill a hole in the bottom of the strut and use a punch or an air hammer to pound the shock out. You can either weld up the hole after or buy a little rubber plug.

Put a spacer under the shock if it won't tighten down under the gland nut. Make sur the gland nut is bottoming on the shock, not the threads in the strut.

And always put some oil in the strut tube around the shock for the reasons listed above.

While talking with Rick Scott from Brantford Nissan today, we think we have the problem figured out.

I don't have the Tokico gland nuts and so the nuts I have (maybe stock) are a bit different and don't take up the little bit of play.

Simple washer or shim seems to be what I need.

:)

• 1 month later...