HybridZ

Individual Bike Carbs

This is my 260z with an L28 swap. The car originally had stock SU's, then I swapped Weber DVG's, now it has this...

DSC_1046.jpg

DSC_1049.jpg

A stock webbed EFI manifold... At least it used to be

DSC_1051.jpg

The carbs are Mikuni's off of a 1979 Yamaha 750. They try to start but my distributor is not wired correctly, I read http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=131362&highlight=260z+wiring but I still have no idea what plugs into the plug out of the 260z distributor, any help?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

all of the carbs mount on a piece of angle aluminum that is bolted to the bottom of the intake. It will hold the carbs still and straight. However, that rubber hose is gas tank filler braided hose, it is very stiff. It was difficult to even bend them that far. Also the manifold goes 3" into the tube and almost 2" into each carb.

What sort of plans do you have for an airbox/airhorns/filter? It looks nice for a temporary mock-up, but do you really intend on running it that long? If so, I admire that kind of rugged budgeting (in other words, I am broke, too) but it *does* look a little unfinished without some sort of extension onto the air intake of those carbs. What did they have on the bike?

I have to admit that while there is a big part of me that LOVES this idea, there is also a part that can't stop rolling his eyes at it.. definitely an honorable mention for abstract implementation:coollook::bonk:

The bike uses a cone style filter for each carb. The manifold needs to be cut back about 2" and each hose cut down the same. I haven't decided whether to use the stock filters, or put velocity stacks on them and stick them in a box with a large single filter. Also, nothing wrong with criticism, in fact that is why I posted pictures in progress, but it seems like everybody is put off by this idea. I mean this is HybridZ, is this some sort of taboo?

The bike uses a cone style filter for each carb. The manifold needs to be cut back about 2" and each hose cut down the same. I haven't decided whether to use the stock filters, or put velocity stacks on them and stick them in a box with a large single filter. Also, nothing wrong with criticism, in fact that is why I posted pictures in progress, but it seems like everybody is put off by this idea. I mean this is HybridZ, is this some sort of taboo?

If you look about a fortnight back, I've a thread titles "6 carbs", about the same idea. It's not the idea that's garnering the opprobrium, It's the fact that since you didn't mention the brace under them the conclusions drawn was that they were hanging there in mid air on the ends of some rubber bits. Besides, at the moment they look rather ugly with the straps and rubber and all the shavings... Tidy them up and trim it pretty and you may be surprised :D

I wouldn't call it a "taboo" as much as a "why-do". Not criticizing in the least, but the webers with their infnite number of jet sizes are so incredibly easy to tune, they take the cake for the "standard" folks and the grouping of the mikunis and the solexes and the SK/OER carbs are more than enough to satisfy most people's desire for variety/"originality." To my knowledge, this is the first time actually seeing six one barrel bike carbs on a car.

SO, my point is, up until now it has simply been an idea to which the common reply is "yah.. but why?" The answer to the why is understood before it is asked; the query isn't in search of a reason, its more to state the simple fact that easier ways exist. Most never bother taking a project to fruition, but if YOU have the parts handy, then its A+ and you get to be the one to break new ground.

It IS pretty cool, but I just fell in love with the appearance of the old SK carbs last night (never seen them in 27 years on this earth, all of which were spent in S30 Z-cars) so I am a little jaded to ANOTHER new carb on the motor, heh..

Ok so my goals are to, clean the manifold, both the shavings and the cuts, straighten out the carbs, and filter them. Oh, and I am going to turbo them. What does everybody think about that?

Doing fine up to the 'Oh, and I am going to turbo them.' You are asking for a world of hurt.

I am seeing kinking in the hose for #1 cylinder. That can't be a good thing. I suspect that #6 hose is kinked as well. I think that your carbs are too wide for your application. You might want to consider throttle bodies from a fuel injected bike and Megasquirt it.

I have seen triple weber applications boosted, and I have a friend that works at Sand Toys in Tacoma, they boost bikes with carbs all the time. I don't know about the rubber hose, on the boosted bikes they still use the hose. Plus I only plan on running 7-8lbs of boost. If I have to I will weld aluminum runners in place.

Oh, and if you look at the manifold the outer runners start to bend in, if I cut them down farther to make room for an air box, that will remove the bend and solve the kinking problem

And you were planning on running a vacuum reference line to each float chamber of each carb for on-boost enrichment? That'll be a mess of tubing..

Are these used in draw-through setups or blow-through setups on turbo'd bikes?