HybridZ

What is a good high temp threadable epoxy?

blueovalz

I need to repair an intake manifold. I want to fill the existing carb mounting holes with a good epoxy, drill and tap new holes in the filler epoxy, but at a slight angle difference than the original hole was (8º off from the original axis of the holes), and then, if needed, helicoil those threads.

The problem is that every easily purchased epoxy (JB weld, etc) gets a little bit softer when exposed to the typical engine heat temperatures. Has anybody had experience with an epoxy that stays rock hard when warmed up to typical underhood temps (remember, I get no air flow under the hood, and it gets HOT).

Look at Enecon! I went thru their week long School in NY, and they have some good stuff! Price is up there though!

Key to any Epoxy sticking is getting a 2 to 3 Mil Profile on the surface to be bonded, by bead Blasting! The Stuff they have is used to Rebuild "Sha-zit" Pump Housings for Sanitation systems, they Pump Sand and God knows what all else!

Hope that helps!

K

Thanks for the link and tip. After looking a Enecon's site, it appears their product is more oriented for coating (protection) and adhesion, with no reference to high temperature strength.

Cementing the studs in place as merit, and I may look more closely at that option, but the temperature issue will cloud that. Perhaps I could find a product that will hold up fine at normal or elevated engine temperatures, but soften at even higher temps (400º or higher) in case I need to remove the stud later.

Understand your concerns there! They had a Product at one time that was full of Aluminum, and the Epoxy which is only "Plastic based" as the Binder, I believe it's going to be hard to find a High Temp Epoxy, if they do not have it, reason being that Enecon sales world wide for High Dollar/small Qty, and reinvests Heavily in R&D to improve their Products and introdce new ones!

Kevin

I've used Devcon Titanium epoxy and have cut it on my lathe with no problems. Didn't chip out of the repair and machined just like the base metal. As Kevin states, surface preparation is the key - a slightly roughened surface and absolutely no paint, powder coat, oils, solvents, buggers, etc. on the surfaces to be joined.

EDIT: The putty version of Devcon Titanium epoxy is good to 350 degrees. McMaster-Carr sells a high temp machinable epoxy good to 500 degrees. Part number 75325A2. I have not experience with this product.

I've used Devcon on a snowmobile cylinder where a gringer got a little bit out of control and I accidentally got into the water jacket. It worked great, and I was able to blend it smooth once it cured. It has worked great for 5+ years so far. It was in an exhaust port on a 165 horsepower twin cylinder two stroke, and I get over 200 horse while on the nitrous.