HybridZ

Need more space? Like mid-engines?

tannji

Don't know if anyone has seen this before, but this would make a very interesting swap into a Z, especially for those wanting to go nuts sealing the nose area and venting through the hood.

http://www.weber-motor.com/en/products/mpe-v4/technical-data/index.html

Nearly 230 lb-ft in the turbo version... and it is tiny. 265 pounds for the turbo version?!!! I would jump all over one of these... :-D

Another quick read:

http://www.autofieldguide.com/articles/040604.html

Any thoughts?

There are a lot of inline 4's out there that are all good options... this one is a V4... most of us have seen how small a V6 looks in the S30 bay, this one would fit in a Z's breast pocket, lol.

I think the OPs intent was to imagine it fitting in a Z's SMUGGLERS COMPARTMENT, not the breast pocket ;)

Something like THIS almost tempts me to chop the vehicle up, give it a roadster looking fascia, put a roadster windshield, top, and trunklid/rear end, and find a way to make it AWD!

hmm, by mid engine, you mean get a 2+2 pull out th eback seats and chop up the pan to build a engine bay behind the front seats with the gearbox bolted direct to the diff? if you liined the engine bayand fitted the fuel tank up front, you'd basicly have a volkwagen...

Wouldn't one be mounting this setup transversely anyway for space reasons. In which case, does it matter if it is V4, I4, V6 or V8.

thats what I figured.... Hartley V8, where are youuuuuuuuuu????? :coollook:

Mid engined, the S30 could be AWD :burnout: We could take back the rally racing scene!!!

thats what I figured.... Hartley V8, where are youuuuuuuuuu????? :coollook:

Mid engined, the S30 could be AWD :burnout: We could take back the rally racing scene!!!

Pete Brock mention that one of the big things that hurt the S30 in rally performance (baja, he's huge on baja) was the long nose. Due to the long bonnet, the hood would constantly be in your way to see the upcomming road when you were going over crests (which is almost constantly). This caused a hesitant driving style which was NOT as fast as one would hope for.

He mentioned that mechanically he thought the Z could be a winner, it's just that the view from the driver seat just doesn't work.

Though if you know the course like the back of your hand I guess it's not a problem.

Pete Brock mention that one of the big things that hurt the S30 in rally performance (baja, he's huge on baja) was the long nose.

Good point... but the Z-cars and 510s were dominant rally racers throughout the 70s and 80s despite that, weren't they??

Plus, in my little fantasy world, this AWD-Z would get chopped and bastardized with a datsun Roadster, so at least 6 inches of protrusion would come off the front end....

Good point... but the Z-cars and 510s were dominant rally racers throughout the 70s and 80s despite that, weren't they??

Plus, in my little fantasy world, this AWD-Z would get chopped and bastardized with a datsun Roadster, so at least 6 inches of protrusion would come off the front end....

I'm not hip on all the actual history, but Pete made it sound like the Z was never really THAT sucessful, though the 510 did very well.

• 1 month later...
I'm not hip on all the actual history, but Pete made it sound like the Z was never really THAT sucessful, though the 510 did very well.

Does the 'legendary 5' ring a bell, they did OK in European rally's like the RAC, TAP, Monte Carlo, and the dominated (and still do) in the East African Safari...

though i think they better suit tracks than sand .. but that is personal i guess .. I have to say i v4 is just short 4 ;) could be great but well .. not for me .. that would be cool in an Mini or an old fiat 500 ..

Fiat500.03.jpg

I guess im a small car Big engine kind of guy..