HybridZ

Spicer 1/2 shaft joints TOTAL SH*T

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Ok so I broke the first side paas a few weeks ago showing off doing about 10 mph I yank first nail it BANG .Figured it was my fault. Tonight I'm in Colonial Beach About 80 miles from home . I'm leavin the best rib place anywhere near DC ."Willy's " The owner so motions light em up So I do a lil in the back .Goto pull out on the main rd nailil it go through first hit second BAM icon_mad.gif other spicer 1/2 shaft takes a shit SNAPPED BOTH JOINTS!! One of the benefits off a welded rear I was able limp too the shop and put in the spare I carry icon_biggrin.gif Needless too say I didn't goto the track wanted too be able too go home.Couldn't afford too break another icon_eek.gif

Guest Anonymous

OOh that's been paid for just waiting icon_biggrin.gif 3.54 solid all around beltway no problem etc! Willy's is on 205 just outside Colonial Beach .After the first u-joint I was leary now snapping 2 at once F-ing JUNK .Pete been busy sorry I haven't called.WANT TOO SEE YOUR RIDE ! I need too dig too see If I have any more shafts before any more fun icon_sad.gif

Guest Anonymous

The stock nissan U joint is BY FAR the strongest joint you will find..

i have never snaped one and have over 50 nine second runs on my Z ... Then again i have a automatic ..

if you ever break one.. put in a junkyard halfshaft with stokc joints. you can get em whole for less then the spicer joints probly.

Guest Anonymous

What do you want for a pair ? Waiting for Ross too true up the CV's ! Cash Or Ribs will bring you a slab or two next time I go .Also Brought back some real nice Oysters Gonna fry em up tonight .You really should see this shaft I did A # on it. Also I'm in between 29 + New Hampshire After you go over the bridge start coming up the hill through the s turns First left Laurie Dr second house on right z in the carport. Welcome too stop by if you r driving by anytime .

Guest Anonymous

Yes I learned the hard way.I was LECTURED By my friend in Fl 10 sec car He has snapped 1 in 3 yrs .Also look at my sight you need a cage madman !! My friend in FL is As bad as you till they wouldn't let him run he would not put in a cage !! If you r tall look at my design .Also it is offset too the drivers side for extra room .14 pts . DO NOT GET THE S+ W cage .Mine is it had too change every bar except the hoops and should have redone those !!

The stock nissan U joint is BY FAR the strongest joint you will find..

This is true of the original OEM U-joints. The current offering by Nissan is not the same U-joint anymore, and is weaker. When I was going thru U-joints back in the pre CV period, I compared the two. It was quite a difference. IMHO, of the four types I used repeatedly, the OEM was best, then Spicer, then the current crop of Nissan U-joints, and last; the AutoZone PoS.

I started to put Neapco into my shafts after I snapped one. Had trouble with it - seemed like one of the crosses was a bit too wide. I've now got a set of CVs and adapters but have not yet gotten a set of stubs. Looking at the nice but cheap Neapcos I'd say they're stronger. I think the Spicer I snapped was defective as the rest have held well - so far.

Guest Anonymous

1fstZ is correct. OEM joints are holding up better than any aftermarket joint available.

The only Spicer I ever installed made if from the water box to just when the Hoosiers hooked. Snapped the tips off off one cross cleanly. Installed a clean 1971 axle and that was over 200 passes ago.

I devised a check for all joints I install. Clamp companion flange into solid mount vise. With large pump pliers work the joint. You would be amazed at how much play there is is in brand new joints. Some are worse than the old ones beign replaced.

Upon inspection the answer seems obvious. Less rollers, bigger rollers = less contact area. Tolerances are simply being left to wide. OEM Nissan has the most and the smallest rollers of any I have looked at.

Since the day of the broken joint, I install half shaft "driveline loops" on all cars with performance engines. These loops attach to the lower control arm and are made from 4 inch I.D. Schedule 40 seamless wellcasing. Regardless of which end might fail, the axle is held up away from the brake lines, E-brake cable etc.

Because the lower A arms are one part number from Nissan, the depth of the mounting is different on each side. Drill two holes and bolt them on. I feel better knowing they are there. Had this joint broken at speed, (the inner yolk with just the caps left in it,locked itself around the inner lower pivot shaft) that tire would have come to a screeching halt which would probably have caused the car to make an immediate left into the guardrail. icon_sad.gificon_eek.gif

All this on 15 lbs of air in wrinklewalls!

Not a pretty thought.

Hey, Rob, when are those adaptors going to be done? icon_biggrin.gif

Pete, I thik if you search you might find pics linked here somewhere already. I know I was sent some pics awhile back and I thought I'd hosted them for a link here. I'll look at home if you can't find them. If these loops aren't the same ones I posted then I too would like to see pics icon_smile.gif After snapping a joint myself I can tell you it's pretty scary! One flying piece barely nicked my cell (shiver). Thankfully nothing else suffered except my powdecoating....

Guest Anonymous

BLKMGK Aluminum + steel striking will not spark .You no go booooom . icon_biggrin.gif It's your brake lines I'd worry about !Actually first I'd worry about that SPICER SHAFT icon_eek.gif