HybridZ

Powered on Megasquirt for the first time tonight

Robrob

Hi folks,

I powered on MS tonight for the first time and immediately burned a few components on the board. C14 went up in smoke right away, and then R15 started to smoke, so I unplugged the stim. I'm going to head over to Fry's (ironic name) tomorrow to pick up some replacements, but wanted to check with the experts before I install new components. Could my problem be due to installing the resistor (R15) and the capacitor (C14) incorrectly (backwards)?

This just bums me out. I'm so close to getting the Z running.

FWIW, this install is replacing the stock ECU and wiring for a stock L28et.

Thanks in advance everyone. I couldn't have gotten as far as I have without this site.

Rob

Electrolytic caps are polarized and can go up in smoke if they are in reverse polarity. They usually have a black stripe as an arrow going from negative to positive. Check the schematic and double check! Greencaps and some others arent sensitive to polarity...

You may have installed a polarized cap in backwards. Usually if the cap is polarized there is a + on the positive leg. Check the value of the resistor you installed. You may have accidently installed a 100 ohm resistor where a 10,000 ohm resistor should be. I have not looked at the board for the resistor value. I only say 100 and 10,000 as an example.

This is a self-built board?

Has the build procedure changed to where they aren't running the checks with the stim as you complete each circuit? Allowing you to troubleshoot as you go before things get complicated?

As stated above, caps polarized in some cases banding, marking, or longer leg denoting +, resistors are unidirectional.

Thanks for the replies everyone. As you stated Tony, I didn't do the checks as I was assembling. Lesson learned there... I checked the components on the Stim and they are installed correctly. I just fubar'd the cap on the MS board.

The cap in C14 on the MS board was reversed, as Loy mentioned above, so it's time to go to the store. All in all, this has been a good experience. Thanks again everyone for your help.