HybridZ

Survived my first track event!!

Friday at about 3:00 PM I leave from work with the Z loaded down for a 3.5 hour trip north to Blackhawk Farms Racetrack in far north Illinois. Trip went on without much drama. Realized the Kirkey seat needs a lot more cushion for the tail bone to be happy for that long. Anyway set-up camp for the night. Free camping at the track and they have a nice new shower facility. Met a guy who was racing Sunday in his vintage Datsun roadster. He was camping with his family in their toy hauler across from me. We walked the track and he showed my the line. I spent a LOT of time on youtube last week watching videos of the track so I was familiar but it's always good to see first hand.

Forecast was ~80 with very slight (<30%) chance of scattered afternoon rain. Woke up a 5 AM to the sound of rain hitting the tent ... it rained until a little after 8. Drivers meeting at a little after 8:00 then practice started. This was a high speed autocross with 2-3 4 lap practice sessions followed by 4-6 timed laps. Fast cars first down to newbies last so by the time I ran it was mostly dry. First practice was noob conga line style follow the leader. Second practice I was about fourth back. I immediately caught the car next car who pointed me by on the straight (only allowed passing area). Immediately caught the next car ... anyway three laps of this and I finally had some room ahead so I really honked it down the front straight. Estimated in the 120 MPH range mid 5th gear. Come up to turn one and she just wasn't slowin down. Looked straight ahead and there's just a lot of green so I decide to pitch it in for the turn and hope I can at least scrub enough speed sliding sideways that I survive the inevitable off. Made it about 1/3 the way into the turn before the back end came all the way around. Did a nice 360 ending up in the grass. In the end no harm done. Last practice I was behind a very slow spec Miata who wasn't paying attention and wouldn't point me by so no fast laps there. We ended up getting 6 timed laps. One more slight off in turn 7 (last turn before the front straight). Turn 7 is preceded by top of 4th gear (~115 MPH) straight then slight kink then on the binders hard. The kink makes it tricky because it unsettles you just before you brake hard. Again she wasn't slowin like I needed her to. This time I just ran wide a track out into the rocks but stayed straight. Otherwise no drama. Ran a best 1 min 23.3 sec best lap which calculates to 84 MPH average lap speed. I was in "A Race" class which is basically the fasted of the fast full slick >2.8L class. I ran 6th out of 9 with first place down in the 1 min 19 sec range. Total of 109 cars at the event then there was a wheel to wheel race Sunday but I didn't stay for that. I was extremely happy with my time and to be that close to the fast guys. Packed up and drove home getting here about 10 PM.

It was a great time. Very laid back but at the same time very organized. Will definitely run there again. This is an old 1.95 mile 1960's track in the middle of a swamp with very little run-off room but it's been maintained very well with new surface, facilities, etc. It is very intimidating to say the least. With such little track time I was really pussy footing around a couple of the scarier turns and couldn't quite ever find the turn-in point on turn 3. This is good because it tells me the car is capable of going a few seconds faster ... into the trophies ... with a little more seat time.

Now I just need some brakes to keep up with the power. I still have stock brakes with Hawk pads and good shoes but they just dont grab like I need them too. I dont think I boiled the fluid as the pedal never got soft they just dont seem to clamp hard enough to slow the car down. Regardless great fun and highly recommended.

Cameron

Glad to hear your hard work has paid off and your actually enjoying your car.

Im surprised that your stock brakes are holding up with the new power. Your stock setup must be working properly.

Not to be a jerk or anything, but shouldn't this be in the motorsports or non tech section?

Very Cool Cameron! Impressive! You drove your car to the event, raced well, ran fast and drove it back home all in piece. To me that is a much greater accomplishment than some race car trailer queen. Great to hear the brakes lasted but I see Daves kit in your future. Rock on!

I was there Sat unloading for the W2W race Sunday and Cameron stopped by. I was quite surprised to hear he was still on the stock brakes and told him he was brave! I'm impressed, he matched my best time within a few tenths and this from a standing start. I'm also impressed he drove the 3.5 hours to and from the track and have to agree it's a bigger feat than what I accomplish with my "race car trailer queen". His engine swap was very nicely done too.

It was a great weekend for myself too; ended up winning the vintage race on Sunday with a 13 sec lead over 2nd at the finish. :)

Congrats on the win! It was a really good club to run with and your car looked real good and is obviously well built. I'll definitely be back but need to work on the brakes before I run too many more track events as I was having to brake real early to avoid going off. Despite this I'm stoked with my times.

Cameron

Cameron,

I ran at Texas Motor Speedway not long after I implanted the LS1/T56. I had stock drums on the rear and the Toyota 4x4 upgrade with new Porterfield pads on the front. I burned half the material off the front brakes and had blue rotors by the end of it. Learned how to drive with limited braking ability. Since then I've upgraded to the 240SX calipers/300ZX rotors on the rear and 12.2" vented rotors with Willwood superlites on the front. Makes a significant difference.

Cameron, Congrats on the first road course event... I'd recommend getting a brake upgrade. What suspension are you running?

Mike

240Z, sectioned struts, SA Konis, EMI camber plates, big n little bars, 225/250 springs, 'bump steer' spacers, offset bushings, front LCA pivot moved up 5/8". I know I need a brake upgrade but really debating where to go. I only run 15" rims but for my weight I dont really need anything too huge just dont like the added unsprung weight from the 4x4 conversion.

Cameron