HybridZ

Thermostat nightmare

bens1088

So the engine was getting extremely hot, pulled the thermostat to see that it looked like it was at the bottom of the ocean for the last 30 years. In the process, two bolts snapped. I reversed drilled them to only dig myself into more problems. I cleared one, but need to tap it/rethread it. The other one has half a bolt in it cut straight down the middle. I said screw it i'll just pull the thermostat housing. I pulled the first bolt no problem, second one ...of course....snapped...

its a 79NA, never had a rebuild. I am contemplating a swap now but I am in CA (smog :evil:) Anyone have any suggestions? Ive never swapped an engine but id love to learn.

what do i do?! :(

i had a bolt strip out the treads in the housing. i just drilled bigger and tapped it. while you are doing all of that, take the radiator out and get it rodded. i chased my overheating engine for several weeks only to find it at the last place i looked, the radiator. from the cap it looked good and clean. i guess not on the inside. good insurance anyway.

jimbo