HybridZ

S12+8 and 240sx brake issue

I have to wonder if the difficulty in getting the air out the first time is related to the speed bleeders. With them you have to build up some pressure to let the fluid/air out. I wonder if this causes the air to want to stay trapped somewhere in the caliper rather than just flowing out like would happen with a std bleeder?

Cameron

I have to wonder if the difficulty in getting the air out the first time is related to the speed bleeders. With them you have to build up some pressure to let the fluid/air out. I wonder if this causes the air to want to stay trapped somewhere in the caliper rather than just flowing out like would happen with a std bleeder?

Cameron

I dunno. I am beginning to suspect them because this is getting retarded. I just recall helping a friend bleed his EVO trackside with speed bleeders and it was ridiculously quick.

LOL. Well, I've had worse cars. One was named "satan" by everyone if that tells ya anything.

Anyways, I rechecked the brakes again today and they do sink down; they don't stay firm as they did yesterday. :emo:

I guess it's time to ditch the speed bleeders.

Anything that could be drawing air into the system?

I dunno. I am beginning to suspect them because this is getting retarded. I just recall helping a friend bleed his EVO trackside with speed bleeders and it was ridiculously quick.

I had the exact same issue with mine when I first installed them and then have had no issues since. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I suspect that some air bubbles get trapped on the surfaces inside the caliper when brake fluid is first added and the surface isn't yet whetted (sp). I don't think it has anything to do with speed bleeders because I've seen others with stock nipples have this same issue.

I had the exact same issue with mine when I first installed them and then have had no issues since. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I suspect that some air bubbles get trapped on the surfaces inside the caliper when brake fluid is first added and the surface isn't yet whetted (sp). I don't think it has anything to do with speed bleeders because I've seen others with stock nipples have this same issue.

So your recommendation would be to drive it about (carefully) to get the calipers to whet (they are all new "loaded" rebuilds from Autozone) and then re-bleed them?

Let me start over: your previous reply sounded like you now have a firm brake pedal and I was just explaining why I didn't think the difficulty you encountered was due to the speed bleeders. Once the brake pedal is firm then the calipers are whetted inside (bubbles are gone) and in the future I wouldn't expect you to have this problem unless the reservoir runs dry.

You still have a MC that is a bit on the small side which is why your pedal has a longer throw before the brakes engage. I doubt that it's a safety issue and have seen others who stay with it, but if you don't like it, then upgrading to a 15/16" MC is your next step. That's what I did.

Let me start over: your previous reply sounded like you now have a firm brake pedal and I was just explaining why I didn't think the difficulty you encountered was due to the speed bleeders. Once the brake pedal is firm then the calipers are whetted inside (bubbles are gone) and in the future I wouldn't expect you to have this problem unless the reservoir runs dry.

You still have a MC that is a bit on the small side which is why your pedal has a longer throw before the brakes engage. I doubt that it's a safety issue and have seen others who stay with it, but if you don't like it, then upgrading to a 15/16" MC is your next step. That's what I did.

So what's the theory for the brake pedal going squishier again after they WERE hard? That's what's making me tear my hair out.

Is the pedal firm, but sinks down with continued pressure? If so, that sounds like a failing MC (fluid leaking around the seals). Otherwise, if it was firm but then became mushy again without you doing anything, I'm not sure I have any good ideas.

Is the pedal firm, but sinks down with continued pressure? If so, that sounds like a failing MC (fluid leaking around the seals). Otherwise, if it was firm but then became mushy again without you doing anything, I'm not sure I have any good ideas.

Yeah it was solid as we had agreed. It would go so far and then be pretty solid and stable no matter how hard you pressed on it. Now the next day, when you hit that same "solid" point, it slowly sinks down as it did before.

Like I said above, it sounds like the MC is leaking and needs to be replaced or rebuilt. Might be a good time to upgrade to a 15/16" while you're at it...

I got the car on the road some finally. It's not sinking ALL the way but it does keep working. The brakes work pretty well. Maybe I do just need the bigger MC. I'll letcha guys know when I get it on.