HybridZ

Project Anger build thread

Well, I've finally torn down the 240z, bought a replacement engine, and am in the process of righting the wrongs I've come across, so I figured I'd start a build thread.

For more detailed information, visit my site here:

http://madnessmanual.logolessstudios.com/category/projects/anger-project/

Basically, the history of the car is a big old mystery. I bought it with a 283 swapped into it, drove it most of the way home (towed the rest of the way), and drove it around for a bit. A few things were done very right, but for the most part the car is all wrong. Here's a short list of what I'd like to finish before putting it back on the road:

• replace welded r200
  • swap out dead 283ci for new (to me) 350ci
  • complete ground-up rewire
    • circuit breakers in place of fuses
    • custom ignition module (replace key, not replace distributor)

[*]patch rust spots, cover with primer

[*]fabricate a tail light assembly

[*]t5 or t56 transmission

[*]replace front and rear suspension

[*]regular maintenance

• brake job
    • replace all fluids

[*]replace funky fuel tank with a fuel cell

[*]paint stock wheels

This may not seem like much of a "build" but I want to make it right before making it big and scary.

I tore off the very hacked tail light housing this weekend. It turned out worse than I had imagined. A strip of aluminum had been riveted around the stock steel, then covered over with bondo. The problem is that he didn't seal the inside and every one of the rivet holes started to rust.

I took as good a picture as I could to show what I mean. I'm definitely taking suggestions for tail lights.

08-15-08_1902_thumb.jpg

I don't think I'm going to be able to use stock lights. I might end up with old Mustang lights, or just make a light panel and use trailer lights (or similar) in the rear. I'm open to suggestions, though.

I haven't quite finished my wiring diagram, so I haven't decided how my lights are going to be segregated. I can use virtually anything, at this point.

Ive always thought that there was something about the 84-86 300ZX tail lights that resembled a more modernized, almost "Transformers" version of the original 240 euro lights with the amber signals...

..but seeing your tail end, I KEEP thinking of challenger-style tail lights.. and that is VERY contrary to my typical tastes.. so take that how you will :) I've seen it and thought that, and thought "that is NOT like me" about six times now, so I had to add my voice to that camp as well.

This may not seem like much of a "build" but I want to make it right before making it big and scary.

It's nice to see some build threads that aren't about 500hp race cars. Us regular people need some inspiration too. Keep it up.:2thumbs: I'm really interested in the wiring because I hate wiring but it's probably something everybody should know.

The tough thing about the mustang lights is that without something in the center it might look kinda plain.

The upside is that they're easy to find, but that also means people will know exactly where they came from. I like the idea of ford tail lights on a car powered by a SBC... don't ask me why because I don't know. Even if I don't like the engine it screams hybridZ all over the place.

The 300ZX tail light panel is a great idea, but hard to make fit right. It's not a flush panel they're mounted to, so making it look right would be difficult.

But the bus lights... blaa. It's not that I don't like the round tail light look on the S30, I just hate how cheap some people's lights look. If you do it right and use corvette lights or something similar then you have my blessing.

I still like the idea of GT500 type tail lights, wide narrow vintage looking lights that look meaty.