HybridZ

Swagelok compress to AN fittings?

IIRC, you almost HAVE to buy them from a Swagelok supplier, unless you happen to find them on eBay or some such place - I don't think Grainger or McMaster sell them?

Have you tried a supplier search at http://www.swagelok.com just for good measure? If nothing else, it will at least get you the Swagelok part number, then you can try searching for those

Grainger does not carry Swagelok and I went on Ebay and one can't really tell what people are selling. Usually somebody is cleaning out a warehouse of stuff. Thanks waddiejohn on your suggestion. I'm sure there is a distributor in the Denver area like in AZ but one usually gets bent over the table on price for just a few fittings. I will continue to look and if I come up with something I will post it.

Danno74Z

I found a Swagelok supplier in Golden. They seem to carry the SS-600-6-6AN but not the 5/16" in the AN end! What is up with that.

Most Swagelock stuff is locally distributed, and if the seller of the stuff is from one of the authorized distributors listed above, they will need to know where you are using the fittings so they can properly credit the appropriate branch with the sales commission. I live in Riverside, and simply LIE to the Orange Valve and Fitting when I buy locally, since I'm supposed to be credited to the 'SanDiego' location, even though the Orange store is 35 minutes from my house, while SD is more like 1.5 hours...

But I digress. If you are hung on Swagelock, then that's the deal.

Now, if you want knock-off equivalents Imperial-Eastman (Gyro-Loc?) and Parker A-Lock are compatible fittings and are more widely available in general distribution---including from McMaster Carr.

When I worked at APCI some years ago, there was a big purchasing debate, so they bought a box of Swagelock, a box of Parker and a box of Imperial-Eastman fittings...disassembled them mixed the components and then did a 'mixed build' randomly grabbing parts from the box and then testing the fittings as they were made-up.

The results:

Unless you are in medium to high pressure Helium Service, it really doesn't matter what components you use with what. In helium service, they ended up specifying Swagelock only. Curiously, from the Swagelock salesman at the time, it was revealed that the test rig at the Parker R&D Facility was rigged up with Swagelocks (they test with HP Helium!)

But for general purposes, and certianly for our usages, it doesn't 'require' Swagelock, and either of the other two will work satisfactorily.

Now...more personal opinion. I like Swagelock, and buy it for work as well as home. The quality IMO far exceeds what I get from the other two. I don't like the phosphate coated furrells on either, and have found the Imperial-Eastman fittings particularly susceptible to gall without putting a shot of light oil or Dry Film Lube on the fittings before makeup.

For the price of a few fittings, I'd buy the Swagelock. If you are doing a big project and the money gets really exorbitant (like the 3/4" fittings to do an Atlas-Copco ZR6 Condensate Line System...elbows and crap like that, over 45 fittings required at $32+ each...) then the Imperial and Parker will give you the same servicability with slightly less polish and look.

When customers are not concerned that much with pricing, I will go to Swagelock simply because they stock most everything they have in the catalog. But the Imperial stuff out of McMaster can be just as workable.

And regardless of what all of them say, save for high pressure helium, the APCI testing done in the early 90's shows that it doesn't matter who's furrels you put with who's backnuts, and who's fitting bodies---they all make up and hold thousands of pounds of pressure without leaking.

Hope this gives you an alternative. The Parker people have expanded their stores, and they are available in many places that deal with industrial hosing (duh...parker aerospace hoses...LOL) just that many people don't know they exist in that tubing fitting market. And for your fitting, it may be something they will have to order in. Check for a "Parker Store" nearby.

OH, and before I forget, if you are using STOCK lines in the chassis, it is NOT 5/16"! It is a Metric 8mm, and both Swagelock and Imperial Eastman make METRIC FITTINGS that will go right on that baby without any modifications whatsoever. The make a whole line of metric to standard adapters as well if you want to 'switch over' to standard stuff near the engine bay for convineience.

Have ordered all parts for the LS1 filter/regulator. I figure this is about half the price of a complete unit from S&P.

RockAuto ACDelco, GF822 $43.89

Midway Auto, Dorman Fuel Lines 12"x3/8" DOR-800-155 $12.99

Denver Pipe & Fitting (Swagelok Distributor) (most large city's)

SS-600-6-6AN (3/8" to AN, compression fitting) $12.60 x 2

SS-500-6-5AN (5/16" to AN, compression fitting) $10.00 x1 (This fitting will take a little time to get since it comes from Ohio.)

Total = $92.08

Others who are staying with the one feed supply line to the LS1 engine can use this information to build their own fuel regulator assembly unit on the cheap - why not.

Danno74Z

Hi Tony D,

Wow thanks for the detailed write-up on the fittings. It looks like we replied at the same time - give or take. As I noted, I found all the Swagelok fittings. From what the Denver sales rep told me the 5/16" fitting is a a 2 week special order item right from Swagelok in Ohio. I did not ask him why but I did try two other suppliers and they did not carry them either - odd? Anyway my filter/reg. arrived today and the 12" dorman fuel line is in route. I think NAPA might even carry it) I'm not is a big hurry as I have a lot of other things to work on.

I am removing both fuel lines from the car and making my own. What the hell just about everything else is new!! These compression fittings are going on the filter/regulator (the inlets and outlets) and the AN end will attach to the lines I make in the future. I'm sure you've seen this before:

http://www.hotrodlane.cc/PRODUCTS/lssinglefuelkit.html

This part is now up around $170 from them.

Other people that have done the LS1/LS2 conversion (other Forums) don't like the Russell adapters so I decided to go this route.

Danno74Z

with the light blue caps and the writing on the nut it looks to be swagelock parts.

i believe parkers are black and imperial eastman uses a really dark blue.

For the $$$ amount on the swagelock stuff it's hardly worth the savings---I think the eastman fittings are around $6 each in those sizes...may be as low as $3.

another thing to know, the stainless steel is very nice for under the car. you can get mild steel for use with the mild steel on the car's fuel lines, they will seal. but they will also rust. and that is a little bugaboo I have with the phosphate coated backnuts on some of the swagelock competitors...

you get into fittings overseas, and there are even more knockoffs. curiously they all use the same thread pitch/mating angles/furrel design as swagelock...LOL

historically, parker and imperial both used single compression designs until the swagelock patent ran out. until that time they marketed it as a superior design. when that patent ran out, marketing shifted to the swagelock knockoff line they were selling and touting the 'improvement' of the 'new design'. eventually they got tired of customers like me pointing out the change in the winds, and simply started marketing them as '100% swagelock compatible'... if you can't beat 'em, at least sponge of their name! LOL

I have used the swagelock fittings, and they seem to work great. Unfortunatly they are ungodly expensive, and make sure you get them where you want them.

I used one on my fuel line as well near the tank. Except my old fuel line was beat up and had a hole in it from a plasma torch incident, lol, so I made a whole new hardline.

fuelline2.jpg

fuelline.jpg

Cheers!

Ryan~

Tony D,

In the grand scheme of things paying a little more for a quality part is worth it to me. I looked at some other brands of compression fittings and just did not like them. So I'm with you 100%

sweetride2go

You mentioned that they were very expensive - yes and no. If you do put them in the wrong spot they can be undone and with a new ferrule you are good to go. Measure twice, tighten once :) Nice new lines by the way. What material are you using?

Danno74Z