HybridZ

in Search Of An Oil Filter

jakeoster

Im having a bit of trouble trying to locate an oil filter for my RB25 engine. Ive done a lot of looking around and came across the thread by Stony which was talking about how Fram filters are cheap not of good quality. The Fram number was the only one I could find and I do not want to use that filter. Does anyone have a part number or what have you for a quality oil filter? I am from the US and the RB25 does not exist in any auto parts store databases as you all know. Thanks a lot in advance!

all KA, VG, and RB filters are supposedly the same. I know KA and RB25 filters are the same, and I've read they're suitable for RB26's as well if they're of high quality obviously.

Looking on my NOS nissan filter for my 87 Z31 tells me that the KA24 has the same filter as the VG, so I can only assume they will work on either engine. I think there are also GA16DE oil filters that are exactly the same.

And I just bought a Magnafilter adapter today from northern tool, linked here:

http://www2.northerntool.com/product/200356549.htm

As always, check your application before purchasing, if mines is wrong... well.. sucks for me!

well, by "we" you mean those with RB's.

mine is going on VG for now, and the one I listed works for 1361 Napa Gold filter which is what I use ... so :)

I read this thread while searching:

http://forums.freshalloy.com/showthread.php?t=170011

I noticed that my blue nissan filter is definately wider than the black Napa Gold filter I got. However, mine didn't have a freakin' HOLE on the side of it. It does not spill out, if anything it spills less.

Since bossproducts.us website has been a source for malicious internet adware and malware as reported by firefox, I'm attaching their pics for filter designation. Filters we need are in the first line:

FF_crossreference.jpg

Zardilla, I would rather buy a Trufilter, which is a stainless 10 micron washable film.

It's 230 bucks, but it will outlast any car you put it on if you wash it properly (dont stretch the screen). seeing as almost all nissans use the same thread and almost all we have on this forum are all the same filter too, it may pay to get one of those filters and run the car till it dies, and then move the filter onto the next car.

3 canton filters, lasting 15,000 miles surpass the price of one TRU filter lasting 60,000 +.

Still looks like a great filter though.

Thanks Raff. I'll check it out but they may not make it in the 3/4x16 thread our engines need.

The reason for going with one of the higher end filters, like Canton, is the full flow, no bypass aspect, so all the oil is filtered all of the time. However the replacement cartridges are about $15 which is the same price as the full flow Amsoil filters (which supposedly also have a good rep).

I have been using a napa gold 1361 oil filter on my RB25DET and my VG30E/T's for years now with no issues. I just grabbed what I had on the shelf and it worked. Napa gold line also has the high quality filter element and bypass. IIRC there are only 3 major oil filter manufacturers in the world. Only one manufacturer make s a poor oil filter and it just so happens that the fram label is put on that poor filter.

I have been using a napa gold 1361 oil filter on my RB25DET and my VG30E/T's for years now with no issues. I just grabbed what I had on the shelf and it worked. Napa gold line also has the high quality filter element and bypass. IIRC there are only 3 major oil filter manufacturers in the world. Only one manufacturer make s a poor oil filter and it just so happens that the fram label is put on that poor filter.

NAPA Gold 1361's are what I use as well... They're made in canada too :-)

There are a couple more independent oil filter manufacturers, but Champion Labs (not the same as Champion for ignition components) is who makes Fram and a handful of other POS filters.

Got mine in today... fits perfect. They even doubled up my order, now I have one to sell...:)

lol i hope i get lucky and get a case.

i ordered abrasive blasting gloves from them for 2.88 and I got 64 pairs of them.

yes. 64 pairs of heavy rubber gloves. the box must have been like 50lbs. It sorta makes me wonder who was doing the weigh-in for shipping costs.