HybridZ

Hot new windshield mod writeup

Valmont

So we'll start with a picture of the final product:

Smashed windshield 006.jpg

So let's get started. You going to need first a nice long stretch of road, something with two way traffic at a miniumum of 30 mph (about 50 km/h if you're trying this in Canada)

This is an example of a great one, that I used for this mod:

Smashed windshield 008.jpgSmashed windshield 010.jpg

Note that road conditions are crucial. The well kept roads of the city will not serve as well as something in the more industrial areas. Recent rain is also a plus, but not a requirement.

Required however will be one special tool pictured here:

Smashed windshield 011.jpg

Note the black scuff mark after use. This does not render the special tool unusable afterwards, but most people (including myself) don't intend to do this mod more than once (I'll show you what I did with mine at the end of this writeup).

Enlist the help of a friend, preferably driving a large white SUV, and have him drive towards you at a little over 30 mph. Place the special tool on the ground, directly in his path. If you're doing it right, it should look a little something like this.

Smashed windshield 009.jpg

With persistance, and a little luck (i've tried to do this daily for months now) you can expect results like these:

Smashed windshield 002.jpgSmashed windshield 001.jpg

Smashed windshield 003.jpgSmashed windshield 005.jpg

Note the lack of spiderweb effect, with the more matrix like compression wave. This will require impact at a minimum of 60 mph.

Keep in mind the mod is semi permanent; you will have to purchase a 'stock' windshield, which I've priced at approx $300 (320.25 CA) with gasket and install. I don't know if 'gasket' includes chrome molding, maybe one of you does?

Oh, and the special tool...

special tool fate 013 small.jpg

Val

(sorry if this should've been posted in the windtunnel/aerdynamics section)

(P.S - if you have an extra windshield in NW washington you don't need, and a gasket... and you know how to install windshields.... hit me up)

(P.P.S - all kidding aside, I peed two drops when this happened. I'm so pissed.)

Did you put a hand up? I had a full sized male phasent hit my honda's windsheild doing about 40 slowing from 60. Put an arm up, though he was going to make it through.

Supriseingly not even a crack, just a very loud thump! Saw him in the rear veiw mirror going tit over but and landing in the road.

Funny write up and good spirt of handling the situation:)!

....full sized male phasent....

holy.

crap.

And not only did I put a hand up, I actually swerved. I caught a glimpse in it's last half second of flight, and went hard right. Lucky me, it would've been in the middle of my winshield, instead of right in front of my face.

As for this 'motorcycle mod'..... tell me you didn't do this...

Val

When I first got my Z I had my windshield replaced because it was so pitted you could barely see through it. A week later a white SUV was driving in the other lane and I watched the rock fling off his tire and come straight at me (I ducked, but didn't try to catch it for the record). It made a hellaciously loud noise and yeah, it scared the piss out of me too. At that time a new windshield was about $150, and I had them reuse the old gasket, since that was replaced with all of the rest of the weather stripping. Your new gasket will not come with new stainless trim, and tell the guy doing the install to install the trim BEFORE they install the gasket. Maybe you'll get extra lucky and get a nice big scratch in your cowl like I did!!!

Tony, I appreaciate the offer, and trust me, I wish I was closer to TN too. It's cold today ;)

and Jon, I feel for you, cause your story is so similair to mine, but I wish the part pricing was too. Where in Seattle you from? <-- bremerton here

Val

I have achieved the exact same results as your "mod", but did it by another method. Mine didn't even involve any driving at all on my part. All I had to do was park my Jeep on the street in Phoenix, and "Voila!" overnight someone else came along and performed a modification I was at first loathe to do my self. Sure saved alot of work on my part.

All I had to do was pick up the "instrument" from my driveway afterward. It didn't leave any black marks on the rock, only white glass powder, but I did note the same "impact crater" effect rather than spiderwebs across the whole thing. Sorry that had to happen to such a nice looking S30. My windshield installer was fine with removing and replacing the chrome around the windshield on my Cherokee.

and Jon, I feel for you, cause your story is so similair to mine, but I wish the part pricing was too. Where in Seattle you from? <-- bremerton here

From CA, don't know if that would explain why the windshield was cheaper. Now live way over on the east side. Close to Monroe on the 522.

....Close to Monroe on the 522.

I spend so little time on that side of the water, i'd have to look at a map. Nice to know there's more than a couple people within a fews hours of me though. I know of one zx, and one other s30 that i see within 10 miles of me. and then the 200 350zs that don't know or care about their cars heritage.

...but I did note the same "impact crater" effect rather than spiderwebs across the whole thing...

Is it tempered glass (don't really understand that term, but shouldn't auto glass shatter into thousands of little pellets?) ? It seems like there are two pieces that are sealed together with plastic in between...? Might explain the 'compression wave' thing. And may very well have save my face.

Val