HybridZ

rebuild veterans: rod bolt removal question

Hello, everyone: To the point, what is the best way (without damaging connecting rods) to remove rod bolts when doing a rebuild?? Mine haven't seen the light of day since 1974 and they don't want to come out. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I used a thick piece of wood and put the wood on the end of the rod bolt and then hit the wood with a handheld sledge. It loosened them right up without damaging or mushrooming the bolt head. I had the machine shop check the rods when I had the new pistons pressed on and everything was all good. I used new ARP rod-bolts when I took them to the machine shop and they pressed those in for me.

I figured it would be something like that, but I wanted to get the input from those who'd been down this "road" before. I'm gettin' antsy to get this thing done, but I don't want to mess anything up.

It's funny because the brass hammer was another tool I was considering!! I guess I had the right idea all along. Thanks again to all.

Any hammer is fine---they're trash once they've been torqued anyway. They are a throway part. An arbor press can be used with a jig if you're doing production removal on large numbers of rods... but otherwise properly cribbed and a smart whack with any hammer should take them right out!