HybridZ

what transmission should i use?

warrenp

i have been thinking of useing 1 of 3 trans.

BORG WARNER, t5,t10 and t56. i have no experiance with any of them. personally i do not do much drag racing, but i alwasy make exceptions to drag race hondas with my 300zx. i refuse to use a automatic like a 700r4.

what do u guys use for transmissions and why?

and what about a Muncie trans? i just found out about them today. i realy have no infor on them any good? and what are they good for?

i really need help here any at all would be good thanks!

The T10 is a 4 speed and is not desired if you do freeway driving. It is strong, however, and good for drag racing.

The T5 is rather weak, but a WC T5 (World Class T5) is a bit better, is light, and fits very nicely in the Z. I bought a WC T5 because JTR recommended it, it was cheap, and I cannot afford the T56.

The T56 is the strongest and best for the z IMO if you can afford it. I eventually want one, but cost is a big issue with me right now.

Davy

Pretty much what Davy said. However I'll add a few things baout the T56. 1st is pretty low and with say a 3.7 found in the 300ZX LSD 1st goes by fairly quickly. On the other end on the highway 6th is pretty steep and you've got to have a motor that can be pulled down pretty low or be willing to drive 80mph icon_biggrin.gif Going to a lower gear makes 6th more usable but 1st less usable. The 93 T56 which had a different 6th MIGHT be better for this app but it also had a lower torque rating icon_sad.gif

In a car as light as the Z the T56 is pretty much bulletproof. The T5 would probably live better than in a heavier application too and it's certainly a lightercheaper trans. I like my T56 but it's a rarer trans, more expensive, and a heavy brute. They also DO have "issues" from time to time so it IS possible to hurt one...

yeah, if youre not doing a lot of drag racing and like a lot of freeway driving, go with an overdrive. i love my muncies, they are tough as nails, and drive and shift hard, t10, just think of that as a muncie with a little more on it. strong trans as well- its taken alot of daily pounding powershifting and drifting

t5-should work in a z pretty good, until you get traction-if i could get one id run it.

wct5-can take a little more beatings with ok traction-definitely must be nice.

t56-great great trans right there , double overdrive, you bearly see sixth unless you have a low mid type motor setup, also will not not pay 1500 for a used trans.

i like the dark horse tremecs over all of them, next to a richmond 6 speed-my favorite favorite trans of them all, because they will bolt up to my lakewood scattershield

the t5 and wct5 ive heard can be had cheap, i dont know, id rather not buy a used trans unless i could some type of verification. icon_biggrin.gif

ok about the t5, they are easy to find here as the t10. but about the t5. whats so good about the WC t5? just tuffer? and what did it come in?

how can i tell the differance between a bw t5 and a BW WCT5?

yes $1,500 is alot for a t56 i have found them for $1000 but still. well when i get ready to buy a trans (hopefully soon) if i have the money for a t56 that what i'm gonna get.

the application the trans is being bulted to is a 400ci chevy with a 6-71 blower. (in the process now) i donno if this helps with choosing a trans or not? but i was told the t5 would not hold up to more than 300-350hp, maybe thats just the trgular t5 and not the WC t5?

The WC T-5 is just a tad bit stronger than the regular duty T-5 (maybe at best 20ft/lbs of torque I think being I don't have my reference material here at work). I believe this gain is mostly in 1st gear. Either way, a stuffed 400 cid motor is going to be very hard on the tranny. With "normally" sized tires (215-225) and descent driving habits (with a blower...right!!) you may get one to live fairly long.

The world class T5 uses paper cone synchronizer and moly faced gears for more durability. They run ATF instead of gear lube. With the Ford's, they switched to GMs 2.95 first gear from their 3.27 first which gives the Ford WC the same torque capacity as GM in first. FYI, the torque rating is a continuos load over 24 hours and not an instaneous or shock load rating where "your results may vary" icon_biggrin.gif Probably a better choice than the T56 is a Tremec 5 speed with a 3.27 first and .75 overdrive. The gear spread is better than the T56 and who needs TWO overdrives? The T56 is geared for passing emissions not for performance (Thus the second overdrive allowing GM to keep a manual trans and avoid the dreaded "sniffer" and the guzzler penalty) Also, with the Tremec you don't have to run the goofy (read EXPENSIVE)pull-off clutch.

• 3 weeks later...