HybridZ

Will this indented unibody affect vehicles performance? (pics)

I just picked up a Z and I see that the unibody is indented in on the passenger side front quarter.

My original plan was to do nothing since the fender covers it right up. I mounted the fender and everything lines up and is straight as an arrow. But is this now a weak point? How do I go about fixing it if I need to.

I already have plans for a roll cage that will extend to the engine bay, my plan is for this to be a 500hp car.

DSCF8454.jpg

DSCF8456.jpg

DSCF8457.jpg

That would be awfully disappointing if my first Z is nothing but scrap.:(

Any ideas on some places to look in order to see if the whole front was tweaked?

I have no idea what kind of impact that could have been.. I figured it could even be from storage. The car was dug out of a storage shed full of stuff, and its probably been there years.

It does not look as if the top of the strut tower or the suspension attach points on the frame have moved. I also do not see that damage compromising the structural integrity of the front end (at least not much).

I would not have any problem using that car especially since you plan to install a cage. I would make sure that you either tie the cage into the front strut towers, or install some form of strut tower brace. Strut tower bracing is good practice for any Z that will be used for high performance driving regardless of previous front end damage.

500hp? I wouldn't take any chances. Do the measurements and see what you get. Otherwise you are going to be hating life after putting all that money into strengthening up the body, not to mention the amount of time you will be putting into it. Biggest and most overlooked rule with doing any quality work , "Don't rush yourself". Good luck :icon14:

Look at the radiator mount near the area where the bumper mounts are. If the front was skewed about a 1/8 of an inch, the spot factory spot weld should be damaged. If not then I think only the passenger side strut tower should the concern.

Since the damage was so close to the firewall. I wouldn't worry "too" much