HybridZ

Bought my first Z

Heh, well its exciting for me. :wink:

This is going to be a roadcourse car only. It was raced before. Is a 71 240x, already has a roll cage, fuel cell, triple webers, konis, etc. I'll post some pics once I get it home later this weekend. It hasn't been raced in a few years and it looks like it picked up a few scars at the last event, nothing major tho.

I am sure that you'll be hearing from me as time goes on.

Sparky

Finally got it home, man was it a pain to get on the trailer. Welded diff, slicks, and low ride height were not my friend today. Got some pics, body is a little rough, just battle scars, nothing too major. My full gallery is available at http://www.pictures.meech.ca/v/sparkys_240Z/

Sparky

P1010658.JPG

P1010662.JPG

P1010664.JPG

P1010663.JPG

P1010666.JPG

Small block Chev is the most likely candidate. My roommate is doing up a V8 Fiero at the same time. He is starting with a 305 he will understroke for class reasons, then switching to 350. It would be quite handy if we both ran 350s, lots of spare parts to play with etc.

Either way I want my first season on it to be with the 2.4 thats in there, then switch. Having never really raced before, I think that would be a decent place to learn.

First step will to be to get it started, then do some work on the body. You probably can't tell from the pics, but the paint is pretty sad, I think it was brushed on. Then learn as much as I can about these weber carbs. Do some tuning and hit a dyno for tuning and curiosity purposes. Giving myself about 8 mos for that much as I work out of town on a 10 and 4 schedule and don't have a garage in the town I work in.

Great starting point. I wonder what kind of class it was set up to run in the first place.

I personally haven't delved into Weber carbs, but a rule of thumb is to give them a good cleaning inside and out. Especially if they have been sitting for a while. If they weren't drained properly the varnish turns to goop inside the carb bodies, and seals dry out.

There is some info about the Sumaru cars over at zhome.com

The guy I bought it from was pretty cool, his son is his carb expert. They offered to come over and drink my beer in exchange for consultation ;) He had a look the other night when I was there and said, it hasn't gooped up yet. I am tempted to just throw some oil in thru the sparkplug holes, crank it over by hand a few times, let it sit a day or 2, repeat, and then see if it just starts. I should probably drain the cell and put some go juice in. Unfortunately its nowhere near street legal, so it will be some time before I actually get to use it. No need to rush things I guess. I am tempted to take apart the carbs, I just need to do my research. Right now I look at them as if they were some spring loaded evilness that will spread it parts all over the garage the moment I open it. There is a Haynes manual for them, I think I will get my hands on one of those before going too far.

I have 6 of those wheels too, 2 custom steel ones, as well as 4 of these "solid metal plate" type jobbies for rain. All in all it was a good package. When I tried to talk him down, he even threw in an arc welder, hehe. I have a short block assembly with forged pistons and another spare block yet to pick up. The poor expedition just wasn't up to task of carrying it all.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, so I finally got the beast running. Turns out it was just a bad battery (duh). Here I was checking all the wiring assuming the problem was there. One small problem.... One of the carbs leaks gas out the intake like crazy, then that turns into an amusing fireball, hehe. Good thing I had some wet rags handy. Going to order new gaskets for all three carbs. Also got my first "understanding weber voodoo" book in the mail today. Time for some light reading :)

Pulled all those ugly stickers off the car too. Time to start cleaning up that body and preping it for a decent paint job.

This may be an easier project than previously thought. <--- Famous last words....

wondersparrow:

Jim down in the Calgary here!

Congrats on getting Reg to part with that thing.

The gas pouring out that barrel is likely a bad float needle or something stuck in its seat. Not likely a gasket. Easy clean out, just pull the top cover off that carb, and remove the float. You'll see how the needle fits in a seat to control the gas coming in. Look for a groove on the needle or dirt, even the smallest amount will do it.

Let me know if you need any help!

Jim

Hey there Jim.

Heh, I wish it was Reg's car, tho he did prepare this one. I bought it off a gent named Larry Brown. I guess there has had a few owners in its time. The car has been sitting for more than a few years, so I figured a simple rebuild would be in order. I noticed the kits come with new needles, seats, and all the gaskets; so I'm just going to go ahead and do that. I'll keep you in mind if I run into troubles though, thanks!!

Hopefully we have a place to race when I am done. With Race City's life coming to an end (if it hasn't already) it seems like I am going to have to tow the car quite a way to actually use it. I got a few friends that are getting cars ready for next year too, hopefully we can help breathe some life back into local racing.

Brent

Hey Brent, nice to see another Canuck on the site. I was going to tell you about JimCanuck, but I see he's already introduced himself. Jim is my Z guru and he can steer you right. He's also president of the Calgary Z club, so he knows where the resources are buried, if you catch my drift. Another guy you might want to get to know if you don't already is Easyguy71 over on www.zcar.com. He's building a ZX and lives in Edmonchuk and has some handy equipment and skills. My hope is to someday race my Z on road race courses, keep us updated on how your car turns out. And remember - turbo rocks!!