HybridZ

Sectioned Struts without sectioning...possible?

im just thinking about this...

using this or something like it:

asts_01.jpg

http://www.technotoytuning.com/productdetail.php?p=110

using the t3 spacer would repalce your stock gland nut,

it extends down into the strut tube holding your shorter strut cartridge in place

allowing the use of shorter stroke shocks with out sectioning.

you can use lowering springs or coilovers with this...

any thoughts about this?

As Derek and Clifton mentioned, those gland nuts aren't going increase your shock travel because your not shortening the strut tube housing which is what you want to do.

For the price of those gland nuts you can easily find a local welder to weld your struts together after your clean them up and section them.

It makes sence to me, in theory. However everyone else is correct on the Z you bottom out the strut tube before you get ultra low.

If you want to use short struts in a full length housing the proper thing to do is put a spacer UNDER the strut housing. Then at least you can get the whole range of motion out of the strut. What this does is effectively makes the strut top out sooner and bottom out like a stock strut would. While droop limiters can be useful for race cars, this part is more for people who can't figure out how to make a spacer underneath the strut but want to use the short insert for whatever reason.

Those gland nuts remove about 2" of shock travel. So, if a typical 240Z shock has 6" of travel, those gland nuts leave the car with 4" of travel by positioning the shock at the bottom of the strut tube. I don't understand why anyone would want to do that.

1. Running the SW20 KYB AGX in a full length strut casing with NO modifications to the strut casings.
  2. Perfect for putting the shock in the correct range of use when using coilovers. (No more "bouncy" shocks because they are over compressed)
  3. Can be used with bolt on Coilovers OR lowering springs, with no adverse effects
  4. Can be used with other short stroke shock options with small shims under the shock.

Thats what they say...

Running the SW20 KYB AGX in a full length strut casing with NO modifications to the strut casings.

This is what it does. Still loses 2" of compression vs sectioned strut and 2" of rebound vs stock strut. If you ran a spacer under the strut, it would have the same amount of compression travel but 2" more rebound travel.

Perfect for putting the shock in the correct range of use when using coilovers. (No more "bouncy" shocks because they are over compressed)

Shocks do what they do because the piston is forced through the oil. It doesn't matter whether the shock is in the middle of its stroke or not, the shock should act the same way all the way through until it tops or bottoms out.

Can be used with bolt on Coilovers OR lowering springs, with no adverse effects

Aside from only getting 4" of travel out of your 6" stroke shocks I suppose...

Can be used with other short stroke shock options with small shims under the shock.

Thats what they say...

True.

1. Running the SW20 KYB AGX in a full length strut casing with NO modifications to the strut casings.
  2. Perfect for putting the shock in the correct range of use when using coilovers. (No more "bouncy" shocks because they are over compressed)
  3. Can be used with bolt on Coilovers OR lowering springs, with no adverse effects
  4. Can be used with other short stroke shock options with small shims under the shock.

Thats what they say...

see this is what got me all happy. lol

this is why i like this site. ppl are blunt and straight to the point :mrgreen:

wonder if the corolla guys use them...

i understand this now.

thanks for the feedback

Hey guys! These are only designed to be used on the AE86 Corolla strut casings. On that particular car, it would be impossible to tag the gland nut against the bottom of the strut top without putting the tire through the fenderwell.

On the Z car or on the MR2 where you could actually tag the gland nut on the upper strut mount, these wouldn't do any good at all.

We don't generally use the AGX's on the Z cars as they valving isn't appropriate for the spring rates most Z cars use.

Sectioning the strut casing is ALWAYS the best option.

I'm sorry if our website is not entirely clear as far as vehicle differentiation goes. Our F.A.Q. and such is designed specifically for the AE86 Corolla chassis for the most part, so things like our "spring rate guide" can not be translated over to the Z cars, etc...