HybridZ

Alternator not charging 280z 1975

Guest Old Uglyness

Guest Old Uglyness

Guys i need help. I've tried to search for a problem similar to mine. I changed out the alternator, voltage regulator, and battery. Also the starter which i dont think has anything to do with the charging sys. The alternator has good ground and power. one wire is missing going to the ign interlock unit that i cant see being the problem. Maybe maybe not. Guys im out of ideas the only idea i have now is to rewire the sys one at a time. Please i need help

Guest Old Uglyness

i have checked wiring on the fusible link they have continuity. wiring from the battery to the alternator has continuity. the one wire is missing that goes to the ignition interlock unit is that my problem??? i cant see that being it. could it be the battery??? all the wires i have checked have continuity. i have checked voltage when it was running and it showed 22V and was decreasing. It should be a 12V battery i dont know why it showed 22V. Which wire is the sensing wire on the alternator? i have only checked power wire.

Guest Old Uglyness

OK i checked the sensing wire for continuity and guess what i think i have found my wire.... well not wires it turns out the old connector that connects up to the voltage regulator is jacking up the connection. i kept checking the power wires when it was the sensing wire all along. I am doing the delco remy swap i have the alternator coming. Hopefully this fixes my problem i test it tomorrow.. wish me luck

• 2 weeks later...

I had a 75 years ago. My alternator would charge as long as I was not using any lights or heater fan. The diode plate was bad, had a guy who rebuild alternator replace it and put in a set of brushes and never had another problem. Of course you would have to really look to find one of those types of auto electric shops today.